Thursday, May 26, 2016

TBR Review: Happenstance by Jamie McGuire

Happenstance
Happenstance #1
Kindle Edition, 100 pages
Published by Jamie McGuire LLC
Release Date: May 9th 2014

Blurb:
Erin Easter, one of three Erins in the small senior class of rural Blackwell High School who not only share a first name, but also their birthday. Erin Easter, raised by a neglectful single mom, keeps to herself and admires Weston Gates from afar. The other Erins, Erin A. and Erin M. are the darlings of the community: daughters of the two wealthiest families in town, best friends, cheerleaders, and everything Erin Easter isn't--and they never let her forget it. Erin A. has even claimed Weston since the 8th grade.

Weston is a well-liked star athlete, and the son of two prominent attorneys. He struggles daily with the pressures of living up to his family name and secretly empathizes with Erin Easter's feeling that she belongs somewhere else; in a different life. Not until he begins sneaking nights out with Erin does he gain the courage to buck expectations and acknowledge his feelings ... both for his future, and for her.

But when a shocking tragedy rocks the tiny town, Erin's life is turned upside down in the best way possible. But when the truth is revealed and everything Erin thinks she wanted falls into her lap, life only becomes more complicated.


Reese's Review:
I know Jamie McGuire is a fantastical writer, but is it weird it surprises me every time I read one of her books how “WOWED” I am? Possibly.

Erin right off the bat is a likeable character who has a very upsetting life. Her mother is a drug addict who couldn’t care less about Erin or herself. When Erin was younger she had two best friends and then one day she had no one. Now all she wants to do if find a way to get out of her small town and go to college and never look back. She’s constantly bullied at school and at work and doesn’t think life will be any different for her until she leaves. Her crush is dating one of her bullies, but that doesn’t seem to matter because he’s spending time with her and not his girlfriend. When Spring Break comes and goes everything changes in the best way possible. Erin and her enemy Erin’s aren’t who any of them thought they were and Erin’s life is about to change in every way.

I honestly didn’t know what to expect with this book since the description gave nothing away. I couldn’t have guessed what was going to happen and I enjoyed being surprised. I don’t want to say too much for risk of spoilers.

I will say I don’t completely trust Weston and I don’t like how their relationship is moving so fast and is a bit obsessive. Plus the parents in this story seem a bit…unrealistic? I’m not sure why, but this book to me is missing a bit of a realistic factor I like in my stories. I may or may not continue this series, but because it was a tad predictable so I can kind of guess where it leads and while I liked Erin as a character the rest of the characters and story I don't really care about.

Overall, interesting story and I hope to continue reading this series to see what happens, but I may not.


Jamie McGuire was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She attended Northern Oklahoma College, the University of Central Oklahoma, and Autry Technology Center where she graduated with a degree in Radiography.

Jamie paved the way for the New Adult genre with the international bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Her follow-up novel, Walking Disaster, debuted at #1 on the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestseller lists. Beautiful Oblivion, book one of the Maddox Brothers series, also topped the New York Times bestseller list, debuting at #1. In 2015, books two and three of the Maddox Brothers series, Beautiful Redemption and Beautiful Sacrifice, respectively, also topped the New York Times.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...