Saturday, October 3, 2015

ARC Review: The Last of the Firedrakes

The Last of the Firedrakes
The Avalonia Chronicles #1
Kindle Edition, 488 pages
Published by Wise Ink Creative Publishing
Release Date: August 15th 2015

Blurb:
16-year-old Aurora Darlington is an orphan. Mistreated by her adopted family and bullied at school, she dreams of running away and being free. But when she is kidnapped and dragged through a portal into a magical world, suddenly her old life doesn’t seem so bad.

Avalonia is a dangerous land ruled by powerful mages and a cruel, selfish queen who will do anything to control all seven kingdoms—including killing anyone who stands in her way. Thrust headlong into this new, magical world, Aurora’s arrival sets plans in motion that threaten to destroy all she holds dear.

With the help of a young fae, a magical pegasus, and a handsome mage, Aurora journeys across Avalonia to learn the truth about her past and unleash the power within herself. Kingdoms collide as a complicated web of political intrigue and ancient magic lead Aurora to unravel a shocking secret that will change her life forever.

Reese's Reviews
I received The Last of the Firedrakes for an honest review. Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley.

I’m not going to lie I wanted this book for the cover. I know to never judge a book by it’s cover and I fell into the trap with this book.

Aurora has a crappy life after her adoptive parents died. Now she’s living with her cruel aunt, uncle and cousin. School is torture because she has no friends and ever since her sixteenth birthday her grades have been declining. When her uncle takes the family on a trip Aurora gets sold and kidnapped into a magical world, her parents world. Aurora tries to find out who she is, her powers, who her parents are and why Morgana is trying to kill her. Along the way she’s attacked and saved my hot mages, fae, and an array of other people and creatures.

I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn’t. My first problem with the endless amounts of description the book had. Everything was described multiple times with mass amounts of detail I could honestly care less about. You’re in a magical forest? Got it. I don’t need your thousand paragraphs of description.

Then there was the constant vomit the book threw at me. Every couple pages the author was throwing new creatures and danger and other stuff at me. There was little down time and while sometimes that’s fine, it felt as if the author knew the book was dragging without it and threw it in there. Like when in doubt make out but instead did when in doubt throw up magical creatures and hot guys at you and hope you don’t notice how boring and un-flowy the book it.

Lastly, the main character and I just weren’t meshing. I like my female leads to be strong and independent. That was not Aurora. She was constantly whining about her life and was so timid and had absolutely no depth. If I’m quite honest many of the characters suffered from just being interesting on the surface, which was a downer.

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this book. It dragged and nothing kept me interested.


For Farah Oomerbhoy, writing is a passion and reading her solace. She is a firm believer in the fantastic and magical, and often dreams of living in Narnia, Neverland, or the Enchanted Forest.

Farah lives with her husband and three children in their family home in Mumbai, India. She has a master’s degree in English literature from the University of Mumbai. Her first novel is The Last of the Firedrakes, Book 1 of the Avalonia Chronicles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...