Sunday, August 30, 2015

Review: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss
The Dark Elements #1
Paperback, 392 pages
Published by Harlequin Teen
Release Date: February 25th 2014

Blurb:
One kiss could be the last

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.


Reese's Reviews:
Absolutely fantastic! Just when I thought JLA couldn’t out make another breath taking series I read White Hot Kiss and BAM! I’m in love with all new characters. Everything about this book kept me on my toes and had me really happy I already own the second book.

Layla is half-demon and half-warden/gargoyle, a freak in her home and in the demon world. She knows she’ll never belong. Layla doesn’t even know who or what her parents are, and to top it all off she can’t kiss anyone because she’ll steal their souls. Yeah it’s looking like a suck pile up in Layla land isn’t it? She’s been in love with Zayne since she before she knew what love was. They’ve lived together since her accident that brought the wardens to her and, while she’s supposed to see him as her big brother she doesn’t. Zanye comes across as just wanting to be her brother and friend but I’m not buying all of that since he gets really jealous when Roth demon hottie enters the picture. Roth is a demon actually the prince of hell and he saves Layla’s life when she’s attacked by demons. Layla thought that was the end of it, that she would never see him again, but now he’s showing up at her school showing and telling her things she never knew about; like who her parents are and what kissing feels like. Turns out Layla is a crucial key player in bringing about the apocalypse and setting a very deadly demon lose on the world, and her guardians, her family have known and lied about her past the whole time.

Whew this book was absolutely awesome. So awesome I kind of want to reread it now that I’m writing this review. The entire book kept me on my toes and all I could think was “What the heck is going to happen next??” seriously nothing in this story is predictable. White Hot Kiss is action packed with amazing characters, witty banter, hottie guys with lickable abs and kissing. What more could you possibly want.

Okay if I’m going to be one hundred percent honest I didn’t think I was going to like this book as much as I did since everyone was talking about how it’s a love triangle. I am so not into love triangles since they just don’t seem realistic to me. That being said I should have known better than to doubt the magnificent Jennifer Armentrout. She hasn’t let me down yet whether it be demi-gods, aliens or serial killers I knew if anyone could pull of a realistic and gut wrenching love triangle it would be her.

Now I’m usually not one to pick teams mostly because I usually don’t read love triangle books that don’t have a clear cut guy who is going to win. That is not the case with the Dark Elements series so here is who I am hoping Layla will end up with; Roth. I will be happy with whoever Layla ends up with because she deserves to be happy, but Roth is my choice for her. Why? Well because Layla has really low self-esteem and self-worth and really high self-loathing. Whenever she’s with Zanye she’s trying to not be herself and she can’t always be honest with him. Zanye also tends to blame Layla for if something happens with her powers. Roth never does that and that’s why I like him best at this point.

Layla is a great character. I loved her from the beginning of this series with the prequel and I am happy she gets her own story. Layla does a lot of normal teenage stuff like hand out with friends, but she also enjoys adventure and helping out those who need it. While at first she sees the world as black and white, good and evil she learns about how it’s not that clear cut. I enjoyed reading about her character development throughout this story and how much she grew to trust herself. Due to how she’s seen in the warden community and how’s she’s treated on a daily basis as an outsider Layla has some self-esteem issues. She doesn’t think she’s a good person because of her demon half and so she can’t fully accept herself. This is one of the reasons I like Roth over Zanye because Roth accepts her right from the start and Zanye tells her to repress her demon half and then she’ll be a good person.

If you couldn’t tell I loved this series. I loved the boys, Layla, the adventures, the action, and the secrets around every corner. I can’t wait to read book two and find out the next chapter in Layla’s life. That ending was definitely gut wrenching and I can’t wait to find out what happens next!

“You need something," he said, and when I stared at him, he added, "Your face."
"My face?"
"It's in need of my kisses.” 

“People with the purest souls are capable of the greatest evils. No one is perfect, no matter what they are or what side they fight for.” 

“I’m okay.” Zayne staggered to his feet. “I can fight.”
“I sure hope so … Because if you’re just going to lay there and bleed, you suck.”




# 1 New York Times and International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russell Loki.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She is published with Spencer Hill Press, Entangled Teen and Brazen, Disney/Hyperion and Harlequin Teen. Her book Obsidian has been optioned for a major motion picture and her Covenant Series has been optioned for TV. Her young adult romantic suspense novel DON’T LOOK BACK was a 2014 nominated Best in Young Adult Fiction by YALSA.

She also writes Adult and New Adult contemporary and paranormal romance under the name J. Lynn. She is published by Entangled Brazen and HarperCollins.

Jennifer would love to hear from you. If you have questions about any of her books, would like to set up an interview, book signing, etc, please use the email address below. Please check out each book/series individual page for more information about each title and the FAQ section.

For rights information on any of her titles, please contact Kevan Lyon from Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.

If you are requesting an ARC please contact the publisher of that book.

To contact Jennifer directly, please email: jenniferlarmentrout@live.com




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...