Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Review: Better When He's Bold by Jay Crownover

Better When He's Bold
The Point #2
Paperback, 400 pages
Published by William Morrow & Company
Release Date: February 3rd 2015

Blurb:
Some men are just better when they're bold.

Welcome to the Point...

In a dark and broken kingdom, a ruler has to be fearless to control the streets and the ruthless people who run them.

Race Hartman is just bold enough, just smart enough, and just lost enough to wear the crown. Places like the Point will always have bad things and bad people, but the man in control of all that badness can minimize the devastation. Race has a plan, but can he prevent total annihilation without destroying himself?

Brysen Carter has always seen her best friend's brother for what he is--too pretty, too smooth, and way too dangerous to touch. Basking in Race's golden glow is very tempting, but Brysen knows she'd eventually get burned.

When she starts receiving threatening texts and someone tries to take her out in parking lot, the only person interested in keeping her safe is the one man she can't allow herself to have.

Sometimes being bold is the only way to stay alive. But can she let Race save her life . . . if it means losing herself to him?


Reese's Review:
Just when I thought I couldn’t love Jay Crownover’s books more, she goes and makes The Point. The Point is dark, dangerous, and full of some of the most amazing cast of characters.

After the showdown in Better When He’s Bad with Bax’s father Race has finally started taking over The Point. He knows someone has to rule over the place and with his smarts, cunning, and skills he’s more than up for the task. It’s a hard uncaring and cruel job but he would rather it be him in charge than someone like Bax’s father. Race cares about trying to make The Point a better place for those who live there, but now the challenge is harder than ever because someone is after him. Enter in Brysen, the one girl who gives him as good as she’s got and he’s in a world of trouble.

Brysen we met in BWHB and I just knew I was going to like her character. So when I heard she was ending up with Race I knew sparks would be flying. Brysen has a hard life. She’s trying to take care of her sister, at least until she gets out of high school while cleaning up her parents messes. Her mother is an alcoholic and her father stopped caring a long time ago. It’s up to her to keep her family safe, except someone is trying to kill her. Asking Race for help isn’t something she wants to do since she knows he’s into illegal activities, but she doesn’t have a choice. Now it’s up to both of them to find out who and why is targeting her before she ends up being The Points next victim.

I loved this book, not as much as the first book, but no one compares to Bax and Dovie.

Brysen is a good girl from the good side of town. While everyone thinks she doesn’t know how hard life can be, Brysen is an amazingly tough and adaptable woman who kicks some major bootay in this book (not literally, but still). Brysen does everything she can to protect the people she loves and in that way she is much like the characters we’ve read about previously. I enjoyed her sassiness and her quick temper. She definitely kept Race on his toes.

Race, what can I say about Race? Honestly, I thought he was going to be a total douche bag since that’s kind of how he came off in the first book. Have to say I was really surprised at how amazing his character was. Race is a really noble guy who would do anything to protect the people he cares about and the people of The Point. I enjoyed how both Race and Brysen grew stronger as they came together. Their relationship was awesome and I enjoyed how Race became more caring about others and himself.

I could go on and on about this book, but I’m just going to hit a couple huge positives about this book. Danger lurks around every corner and you won’t ever guess who it is. I loved being on the edge of my seat wondering who was after the characters, if it was the same person, were the characters I love so much going to be safe? It was fantastic and my heart was racing a lot of the time. The romance also had my heart pounding because wow! Race and Brysen may be the “cleaner” version of The Point, but DAMN they had some wicked hot sexy times. Realism. I enjoy that this book isn’t just a book with somewhat realistic characters and a somewhat realistic story. I believed every minute of this book and was swept away but the characters and their story. They felt real and so does the danger and the world they live in. A huge thank you to Jay Crownover for being extra amazing with all of her books!


I'm supposed to share interesting details about myself so that my readers get to know me so here we go in no particular order: I'm an natural redhead even though I haven't seen my real hair color in years, I'm a big fan of tattoos and have a half sleeve on either arm and various other pieces all over the place, I've been in the bar industry since I was in college and it has always offered interesting insight into how men and women interact with each other, I have 3 dogs that are all crazy, I live in Colorado and love the snow, I love music and in all reality wish I could be a rock star not a writer or a bartender but I have zero talent so there is that.

I love to write, love to read and all I'm interested in is a good story with interesting characters that make the reader feel something.

Thanks for taking the time to check my stuff out....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...