Saturday, April 4, 2015

ARC Review: Broken Skies by Theresa Kay

Broken Skies
Broken Skies #1
ARC Edition, 370 pages
Published by Theresa Kay
Release Date: July 10th 2014

Blurb:
Thirty years ago, civilization collapsed. Few survived.
Ten years ago, the aliens arrived…and stayed.
One year ago, I killed two men and went a little crazy.
Today, the aliens took my brother and I will do anything to get him back.

In seventeen-year-old Jax Mitchell's world, humans are nearly extinct and alien settlers have arrived.

Until recently, the E’rikon have remained segregated in their city and ignored the few humans who have tried to engage them… but now they have taken Jax’s brother. To rescue him, she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E’rikon left stranded in the woods. She agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier. Too bad it’s not that simple.

Jax, who cannot stand to be touched, finds that she’s drawn to the alien boy with bright green hair and jewel-like scales down his back. And he’s equally affected by her, the courageous redhead with haunted eyes. But she doesn’t know the alien’s true motives and he has no idea that she is much more than she seems.

In this world where alien and human are at odds, the connection forming between the two has consequences. What started off as a rescue mission sets a chain of events in motion which threatens not only the remaining humans and the growing alien society, but Earth itself.


Reese's Reviews:
Holy cow this is one of the most fantastical books I have ever read. I had a complete book hangover for almost a week after reading this phenomenal story. I swear the second book needed to come out yesterday because the wait is completely sucking, but I know it will be totally worth it.

Jax Mitchell had only her brother for the longest time until something happened to Jax and they were forced to move one of the last remaining cities in the world. Humans are all but extinct since the E’rickson, and alien race came and took over the earth. Jax thought everything was alright, until the E’rickson showed up and kidnapped her brother and left and E’rickson as her only means of tracking him. Jax doesn’t expect the E’rickson to be kind or helpful, but she knows she has to get her brother back before the town she lives in becomes more corrupt and she never sees her brother again.

I swear this book was completely epic. Never before have I read a story so completely unpredictable. The characters, the story, and the darkness and secrets surrounding both the human and the alien settlements were just completely unpredictable and flawless.  

Jax before this story began has been injured and hurt. She couldn’t speak or move for a long time after it happened, but when she finally came to her brother had taken her to a town they used to trade with. Jax doesn’t know how to be close to people anymore, and she really doesn’t want to. I loved her character for so many reasons. Despite the fact that she’s a tad antisocial and has a damaged past she is one of the most fiercely loyal and tough characters I’ve ever read. She helps keep Lir her alien companion alive with nothing but her wits and knowledge of the wilderness. Even in the depths of the unknown alien world she survives and grows stronger. I don’t know if I can say there’s a ton of character development, but I think Jax discovers her inner strength.

Lir is the alien E’rickson who gets left behind by the men who took Jax’s brother. He’s never been outside the alien city before and he has no way of surviving until Jax makes him a deal to get him home in exchange for entrance into the city. I didn’t trust Lir at first since the circumstances surrounding his entrance into the story seemed fishy. Inevitably they team up and go on an adventure to get Lir home. Lir has a story we don’t really get a glance at until later in the story. He doesn’t trust Jax and sometimes he was a complete and total jerk, but I enjoyed his character and felt he came a long way from the untrusting alien to the man we see at the end of the story.

So I wouldn’t call this story a romance by any means because Broken Skies was a lot more about the story than the lovey dovey stuff, but there was some. I was a little nervous at the beginning when I thought this may turn out to be a love triangle. It so didn’t turn out that way. Jax and Lir end up forming a bond that only E’rickson can make with their true mates so that was amazing to see how their relationship and feelings grew. Since Jax has never been interesting in boys besides Lir she is very naive and confused about their relationship. I enjoyed reading about their journey from untrusting companions to something a lot more.

I could really go on and on about this story. So much happens that it was mind-blowing it all fit so perfectly into one book. Theresa Kay is definitely an amazing author. Her writing and story telling ability is just completely off the charts. I was never bored and constantly on the edge of my seat wondering what was next. I seriously could not put this book down and I read it in one sitting, so worth the book hangover. 

Broken Skies is amazing which is why it is now one of my favorites. I kept reading and rereading after I finished and seriously cannot say enough about how fantastic this book is. It’s original and thrilling and I cannot thank both Netgallley enough for sending me a copy of this book. I would really recommend this book to YA dystopian lovers who enjoy the story more than the romance. Can’t wait for the next book since that ending was heartbreaking and amazing at the same time. 


The only person she knows who had a subscription to Writer's Digest at eleven and was always excited to write research papers, Theresa has been putting words to paper since a young age. Living in the mountains of central Virginia with her husband and two kids, she works as a paralegal by day, binges on Netflix at night and finds bits of time in between reading almost everything she can get her hands on and laundry to craft stories that tend to feature broken characters in sci-fi or paranormal worlds, with a touch of romance thrown in for good measure.

She's constantly lost in one fictional universe or another and is a self-proclaimed “fangirl” who loves being sucked in to new books or TV shows. Theresa originally wanted to write horror novels as an ode to her childhood passion for Stephen King novels, but between her internal Muse’s ramblings and the constant praise for her sci-fi pieces from her writer’s group – The Rebel Writers – she knew she should stick with what was working.

Ok, enough talking about myself in the third person… I love interacting with readers, so if you want to shoot me a line, you can connect with me on Facebook and Tumblr Even if it’s not about my books, I like chatting about my (many) fandoms, books and reading in general, or just about anything really.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...