Friday, March 6, 2015

Review: Breaking Free

Breaking Free
Paperback, 180 pages
Published by Harmony Ink Press
Release Date: April 10th 2014

Blurb:
Raimi Carter is finally a girl, just like she always knew she was meant to be. At a new school where nobody knows she’s had gender reassignment surgery, she hopes to finally live the normal life she’s longed for, happy in her own skin.

Life is great until she discovers a dangerous bully is blackmailing head cheerleader, Clare Strickland, threatening to reveal her secret: she’s gay. As Raimi fights to free Clare from his clutches, the two girls move beyond friendship. But secrets from their pasts and their own fears of coming out tear them apart—maybe forever. Baring their souls to each other could cost them everything. For two girls trapped and desperately in love, only strength, courage, and trust in each other will help them break free and claim their future.

Reese's Review:
Raimi has been a girl in her heart for a long time, and now she’s finally a girl with her body as well. Moving to a new school with her family was the wisest choice. Now nobody knows she was once Raimi a boy, they only know the girl. Raimi wanted to skate by the last years of high school, until she met Claire.

Claire is head cheerleader and in a relationship with a jock. An abusive jock. When Raimi sees something about their relationship she knows Claire isn’t who she pretends to be and Raimi is falling fast for her.

There relationship is amazing and complicated and at times out of control. I wasn’t sure I relationship was healthy in any way. I honestly didn’t like Claire all that much in this story. I thought she was kind of rude and had no regard for anyone else’s problems but her own.

Raimi’s parents were a whole other story. Raimi’s father is a drunk and her mother while supportive took her brother on a trip to “get away from life.” The whole family was dysfunctional.

Breaking Free was definitely an interesting read. I’m very pro LGBTQA so I was quite excited to read this book. Sadly I wanted to like this book but it fell a bit short to me. The writing was nice and fluid, the story was good, but the characters were a bit of a fail to me.

All in all, I liked the story but I didn’t love it. I think this story is fantastic and unique. I would definitely recommend this story for those looking for a unique YA story to read.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...