Sunday, February 1, 2015

Stacking the Shelves & Weekly Recap

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly blog post hosted by Tynga's Reviews to share what books you've bought this past week.




Some Boys by Patty Blount

Some boys go too far. Some boys will break your heart. But one boy can make you whole.


When Grace meets Ian she's afraid. Afraid he'll reject her like the rest of the school, like her own family. After she accuses the town golden boy of rape, everyone turns against Grace. They call her a slut and a liar. But...Ian doesn't. He's funny and kind with secrets of his own.

But how do you trust the best friend of the boy who raped you? How do you believe in love?

A gut-wrenching, powerful love story told from alternating points of view by the acclaimed author of Send.








Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot body, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.

I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?


Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles #1) by Amanda Hocking
Bryn Aven is an outcast among the Kanin, the most powerful of the troll tribes.

Set apart by her heritage and her past, Bryn is a tracker who's determined to become a respected part of her world. She has just one goal: become a member of the elite King’s Guard to protect the royal family. She's not going to let anything stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss Ridley Dresden.

But all her plans for the future are put on hold when Konstantin– a fallen hero she once loved – begins kidnapping changelings. Bryn is sent in to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?












The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2) by Rae Carson
She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

Elisa is a hero.

She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer the power she bears, once and for all, Elisa must follow a trial of long-forgotten—and forbidden—clues, from the deep, hidden catacombs of her own city to the treacherous seas. With her go a one-eyed spy, a traitor, and the man whom—despite everything—she is falling in love with.

If she's lucky, she will return from this journey. But there will be a cost.


E-books:

Luminosity (Raven Chronicles #1) by Stephanie Thomas
My name is Beatrice. When I was born, I was blessed with the Sight. I was immediately removed from my parents and enrolled in the Institution. At the age of twelve, I had my first true vision, earning my raven’s wings. And when I turned seventeen, one of my visions came true. Things haven’t been the same since.

The Institution depends on me to keep the City safe from our enemy, the Dreamcatchers, but I’m finding it harder to do while keeping a secret from everyone, including my best friend Gabe. It is a secret that could put us all in danger. A secret that could kill me and everyone close to me.

But the enemy has been coming to me in my dreams, and I think I’m falling in love with him. He says they’re coming. He says they’re angry. And I think I’ve already helped them win.







Game for Marriage (Game for It #1) by Karen Erickson
A sexy category romance from Entangled's Brazen imprint...

He’s going in deep to make her his…

Struggling artist Sheridan Harper never imagined she’d spend a sizzling night with Jared Quinn, the smoking-hot star quarterback of her local professional football team, the San Jose Hawks. And she’s even more shocked when Jared’s publicist offers her a proposition: a fake marriage to keep Jared out of the gossip mags. Being that close to Jared would be too tempting, so to protect her heart, she insists on secretly including a clause forbidding sex between them.

Jared just wants to keep his starting QB job and keep it in San Jose. His reputation as a ladies’ man has landed him in the headlines one too many times, but there’s something about his kind, passionate new wife that tempts him beyond reason. Any sort of intimacy between them is completely forbidden, but as their bodies fall in deep, will their hearts follow suit?


Charlie’s back!
Miserable and unsettled in his predictable, suit-and-tie existence, Charles Benson, Jr. is finally waking up and realizing a few things.
He hates his life.
But instead of a change, he finds himself thrust deeper into the same ol’, same ol’, only worse.
Or is it?

Kami Monroe.
Tattooed. Pierced. Outspoken. Fiercely sexy.
Jaded after being burned by an unreliable dreamer, she rolls her eyes at Charles’s uptight monkey suits and Polo shirts, even as she secretly craves the stability he represents . . . not to mention the unexplainable and explosive chemistry sizzling between them.
There’s only one thing stopping them. Each other.

Second chances . . .
Add to the mix an angel getting one last shot at Love Detail before moving up the ranks, and you could have a match made in Heaven . . . if they’d just get the hell out of the way.



Circle of Redemption by Shauna Allen, Susan C. Muller, Janet Nash
Three stories, three men, three lives intertwined by chance . . .

War veteran turned detective, Dan Wilson lives a solitary existence until the day he’s thrust into the middle of a life or death situation and finds himself face-to-face with the love he let get away. Will he be able to overcome his regrets and her secrets so they can enjoy the future that should have been?


Rocked by the ravages of war . . .

Afghanistan has ripped everything from Cade Russell. His peace of mind, his happiness, his family. Lost and alone, his marriage in shambles, his world is falling apart around him. What will it take to save the love that had once been his redemption?


Threatening to crumble under the weight of heartbreak . . .

Faced with the ultimate loss, Dr. Travis Rhodes finds his life has ended up nothing more than an empty black hole until a vibrant, vivacious artist brings color back into his world. Can he dig deep enough to love again when shocking revelations threaten to unravel all they’ve found together?


Can they be healed by the redeeming power of love?

Received for Review:

Burnout (Jack 'Em Up 0.5) by Shauna Allen
I live a perfect life. A perfectly, imperfect, suffocating life.
Or I did, until I met Blake Travers—the tortured bad boy with the painful past I can only glimpse.
But there’s just something about him that makes me yearn to break free and embrace the hurricane that is him. I need to know him, I can’t stay away. He makes me feel, he makes me want, me just . . . makes me.
~~~~~ 
I’ve always known what I am. I’ve been branded, stained, my entire life.
Hopeless, lost, angry down to my core.
Until I met Delilah. A tiny piece of perfect in my messed up world.
I’ll do anything to touch her, hold her, keep her . . . but it’s impossible.
I’m a lost cause.




Elvis is a Keeper by Shauna Allen
Hook . . .

Em Reed’s life is complicated enough—thank you, very much. As a single mother struggling to take over the family fishing guide business, she yearns to make her beloved father proud. He is the only man she trusts—the only one who has been there for her through every heartache.

Line . . .

And the last thing the needs is to fall for some brainiac writer who is only in town temporarily. Even if he does bear a fascinating resemblance to the King of Rock ‘n Roll—the only man who still rocks her world.

And Sinker . . .

But as her life takes a horrific turn for the worst and her father is accused of a brutal crime, can she keep her family together, her father from confessing to save the love of his life, and her own heart safe?

Or is Elvis a Keeper?
Crank (Jack 'Em Up #1) by Shauna Allen 
It feels like I’ve loved him forever.
He’s ingrained in my DNA.
Torn, I’ve watched him slip away in torturous bits and pieces. 
Even in our deepest grief.
He’s my true love. My only love.
But I’ve lost him.
~~~~~
I think I’ve loved her since the moment I laid eyes on her. 
That will never change.
But I’m haunted by the demons of my past. Unworthy of her love.
And yet, she loved me anyway.
We spoke those sacred vows . . . til death do us part. 
And we’re dying. Someone’s murdering us.
Me.






Two Blue Lines by S.C. Montgomery
Who wants to be a father at sixteen?

No one.

Especially not Reed Young. But that’s the incredibly stupid, incredibly confusing position he’s found himself in. He’s now forced into a situation where he has to man up and face his responsibilities or walk away from the only girl he’s ever loved . . . Melissa Summers. The one who’s held his heart since he was thirteen.

But as hormones, stress, and teenage angst yank at them, a bigger secret looms. Not to mention Reed needs his father more than ever, but he’s withdrawn in utter disappointment.

What’s a sixteen-year-old father-to-be to do?

Sometimes when perfect falls apart, a little trouble fixes everything . . . 

Twenty-one-year-old Kayla Turner has lost everything. After spending most of her life taking care of her ailing mother, she just wants to spot a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. So when her late father-a man she barely knew-leaves her an inheritance, she finally breathes a sigh of relief . . . until she learns the inheritance comes with strings. Strings in the form of handsome playboy Daren Ackwood, her father's protégé. To see any of her inheritance, she's forced to team up with him. From his expensive car to those sexy dimples, Kayla's seen his type before. But Daren isn't who he seems to be . . .

Struggling to make amends for his family's mistakes, Daren has a life more Oliver Twist than Richie Rich these days. He's beyond grateful that James Turner included him in his will, but working with Turner's princess of a daughter to fulfill his cryptic last wish is making Daren wonder if being broke is really so bad. Still, she's just as beautiful as she is stubborn, and the more time he spends with Kayla, the less it feels right being without her. Soon Daren and Kayla begin to wonder if maybe the best gift Kayla's dad could have left them . . . was each other.

Bee Carter is no longer torn between her handsome billionaire and her tattooed bad-boy biker. After enjoying mind-melting, world-tilting sex and experiencing the pleasure of waking in her man's arms, she has finally made her choice.

Or has she?

A violent early morning confrontation pits biker against billionaire and results in a shocking proposal: the discarded man is willing to overlook Bee's wild night with his rival in order to win her love. He will sacrifice his pride, his heart, and everything he holds dear to have her.

Bee is unmoved by the offer … until the man she's chosen encourages her to accept.

Now Bee is yet again faced with an impossible decision: Does she pursue the man she craves, who has rejected her love, or does she settle for the man who will do anything for her?



Books that were featured on my blog this week:
LOVE, LUCY Release Day Blast
Be Mine Blog Tour Materials
TBR Tuesday #77: Born Wicked
Racing Hearts WoW Post
November Blue and the Thompson Sisters
Savage Bytes Book Blitz

What about you guys? Did you get anything good this past week at the bookstores? Read something awesome? Let me know with comments.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...