Friday, November 28, 2014

I Wish by Elizabeth Langston

I Wish
Series: I Wish #1
Netgalley ARC
312 pages
Published by Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: November 18th 2014


Blurb:
Book 1 in a new series.

What Lacey needs is a miracle. What she gets is a genie with rules.

Lacey Linden is hiding the truth of her life—a depressed mom, a crumbling house, and bills too big to pay. While her high school classmates see a girl with a ready smile and good grades, Lacey spends her evenings seeking ways to save her family. On a get-cash-quick trip to the flea market, Lacey stumbles over a music box that seemingly begs her to take it home. She does, only to find it is inhabited by a gorgeous "genie." He offers her a month of wishes, one per day, but there's a catch. Each wish must be humanly possible.


Grant belongs to a league of supernatural beings, dedicated to serving humans in need. After two years of fulfilling the boring wishes of conventional teens, he is one assignment away from promotion to a challenging new role with more daring cases. Yet his month with Lacey is everything that he expects and nothing like he imagines. Lacey and Grant soon discover that the most difficult task of all might be saying goodbye.

Reese's Review:
I was so excited when I was given a copy of I Wish for a couple of reasons. One GENIES, there are so few genie stories I was excited to read one.

Lacey has problems.  She’s a high school student who acts as a parent in her house. Her father and stepfather have died. Her mother is depressed and is barely functioning. Lacey is trying to do everything she can to keep her family afloat, but it’s a lot harder than she thought. She works, pays the bills, and taking care of her mother and brother. Then she buys a music box and everything changes. Lacey has a plan to change everything about her life. She has her genie for a month and one wish a day.

Grant Lacey’s genie is used to shallow humans who he grants wishes for. Lacey is his last assignment before he gets promoted. When he meets Lacey he thinks he’s getting another shallow teenage. Instead he’s faced with his ultimate challenge, trying to help Lacey’s family stay afloat. Grant didn’t expect a challenge when he first met Lacey, but as they grow closer and he realizes things are more complicated than he ever realized.

I loved this story. I read it in one sitting. Refused to eat, sleep, and breathe because I Wish was so fabulous. I loved the slow romance that built between Lacey and Grant. I loved the ending even though it tore out my heart. I cried, I screamed, I almost flung my kindle across the room, almost. This is definitely one of the most beautiful and amazingly written books I’ve ever read. Elizabeth Langston has written a fantastic story that drew me in from the first page. The characters were so realistic and every feeling the character had I felt. When they cried I cried. Having been a virgin to the beauty that was Elizabeth Langston’s books before I Wish, I will definitely be changing that very soon.

Lacey’s character was such a strong female character. She carried her family and no matter how hard it got she always made everything okay. Even when she began to realize she had flaws she began to work on them to make herself a better person. She’s self-sacrificing and just an all around great character to read about.

Grant was a very sexy sweet genie. He’s cocky and over-confident but caring. I enjoyed his Genie “Daily Reports” entries, which were really enjoyable. Grant definitely had an enjoyable personality and I can’t wait to find out what happens next in his story.

I have to say I am super sad about the ending since I’m not sure who is going to be in the next story. It definitely left on a cliffhanger and I honestly NEED the second book like yesterday.

Thank you Spencer Hill Press and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this amazing story.


Hello, I'm Elizabeth Langston, and I write Young Adult (YA) fiction. I have two magical realism series. First is the Whisper Falls series (Whisper Falls, A Whisper In Time and Whispers From the Past). I Wish, the first book in the I Wish series, is available now. The next book will release in 2015.

I live in North Carolina, USA and work in the computer industry for my day job. I have two daughters in college and one husband at home. At night, when I'm not writing, I'm watching TV (dance reality shows, Outlander, Castle) or reading (and that is all over the place.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...