Friday, September 5, 2014

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Title: Of Poseidon
Series: The Syrena Legacy #1
Paperback: with Bonus Short Story Inside
324 pages
Published by Square Fish
Release Date: April 30th 2013

Blurb:
It had never occurred to him to kiss anyone—before he met Emma. These days, it's all he can think about, her lips on his.

The day Emma meets Galen on the beach is the day her life changes forever. Galen is the prince of the Syrena sent to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. When Emma runs into him—literally, ouch!—their connection is immediate and powerful. Could this be the girl? After several encounters, Galen is convinced Emma is the one. But how can he convince her of her gift? And how can he make his feelings for her disappear? She's the key to his kingdom, she can't be the key ti his heart.
Thoughts:
I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. While I was excited about reading it I don’t really read too many mermaid stories. Anna Banks really surprised me with Of Poseidon and I actually fell in love with this story about a chapter into the book. Emma and Galen’s story was truly one to behold and I really enjoyed reading about them. Plus it was dual pov between the two of them and you know I love a good dual pov.

Galen and Emma meet on a beach for the first time and while they both feel an instant connection something goes terribly wrong. Now Emma is starting high school without her best friend and just when she thinks things can’t get worse, Emma sees Galen again. Now he’s revealing to her that not everything is as it appears. Emma can communicate with fish and can stay under water for long periods of time. She doesn’t want to believe it though. That is until Galen shows her his fin. Galen knows that Emma an abomination half-breed has the gift of Poseidon.  She could save the kingdoms by reuniting them again and he wants nothing more than to be with her.

So Galen and Emma have an instant attraction and even when they start really liking each other it takes a while for their relationship to pick up, mostly because they argue all the time like Daemon and Katy from Obsidian. It’s honestly pretty funny since I enjoy witty banter.

Emma just lost her best friend to a shark and starting high school is hard for her without her. She doesn’t think there is anything special about her. Her mom and she aren’t the best of friends and her dad died. Starting high school alone is tough. After meeting Galen and learning all the secrets about herself that she never knew she begins looking for clues as to who and what she is. Emma takes most things in stride and is a tough cookie. She doesn’t let anyone walk all over her or anything and I liked that.

Galen is of course gorgeous in every way and high school girls frighten him which is hilarious. I enjoyed reading his angst over high school and Emma like a human. Galen is definitely an interesting character. He is the Prince over the Triton family and he is almost compelled to follow the rules and have everyone fall in line with them, which of course Emma never does. Emma and he are constantly butting heads because Galen has always followed the rules but being with Emma would break them. It’s a constant back and forth and one of the reasons why their romantic relationship takes so long to form.

Honestly, I fell in love with this story. I loved Emma and Galen’s characters and just everything about this story was pretty funny. I loved the jealousy Galen felt around Emma when she was hanging out with other guys of when he stalked her on her date which was hilarious. I loved Goliath who is a giant whale and adorable. I especially loved the cliffhanger at the end since while I kind of saw it coming I wasn’t sure so Emma’s parents identity is kept secret until the end which is awesome. Plus mythology was thrown in and Ann Banks certainly did a fine job of creating such a great and compelling story.

Teaser:
“Emma, we don't have to kiss. She already knows I want to sleep with you." 
He cringes as soon as he says it. He doesn't have to look up to know the sizzling sound in the kitchen is from Rachel spitting her pineapple juice into the hot skillet.
"What I mean is, I already told her I want to sleep with you. I mean, I told her i wanted to sleep with you because she already thinks I do. Want to, I mean-" If a Syrena could drown, this is what it would feel like.” 

Swoon:
"His mouth covers mine, cutting me off. This kiss isn't gentle like the first one. It's definitely not sweet. It's rough, demanding, searching. And disorienting. There's not a part of me that isn't melting against Galen, not a part that isn't combusting with his fevered touch. 
I accidentally moan into his lips. He takes it for his cue to life me off my feet, to pull me up to his height for more leverage. I take his groan for my cue to kiss him harder."






New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.
Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. I graduated from Niceville High School. So did J Lo's second husband. And the guy that plays Aqua Man on Smallville dated my best friend.

Now I indulge my tendency to lie by writing the lies down and selling them to publishers. Well actually my agent sells it, so she's an accomplice to lies. One of my lies is called OF POSEIDON. The sequel is called OF TRITON. The last and final installment is OF NEPTUNE, and it released May 13, 2014.

And um. I also write adult fiction under pen name Anna Scarlett. One of the adult lies is DEGREES OF WRONG.

That is all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...