Monday, August 18, 2014

Music Monday #23: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James


Music Monday is a blog review I post on my blog to change up my reviews and share some music that reminds me of the book I was just currently reading.




Title: Fifty Shades of Grey
Series: Fifty Shades #1
ebook, 385 pages
Published by Vintage
Release Date: May 25th 2011

Blurb:
When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

This book is intended for mature audiences.


So I love Phil X and after reading Fifty Shades of Grey a little while ago I had listened to this song Helicopter by Phil X and The Drills and it reminded me of this book so much. First Mr. Christian Grey does in fact have a Helicopter and this song is filled with so many sexual innuendo's and is so fun like Christian's and Anna's banter.

Thoughts:
I picked up Fifty Shades of Grey on a whim after I saw the trailer and I was 100% positive I was not going to like this book. After all the bad press and it being such a popular book I really couldn’t see myself liking this famous novel. Plus after all the dirty scenes I had heard were in this book I was quite curious as to how dirty since I recently heard it was made into a musical….yeah disturbing.

However, after reading Fifty I honestly didn’t hate it. Maybe because I have read similar stories about Dom Sub relationships I don’t know. Honestly though I am still unsure about why all the hype is surrounding this book. Anyway, here is my total and completely honest review about Fifty Shades of Grey.

Anna’s roommate is a journalist major and has gotten an exclusive interview with the elusive Mr. Grey who has multimillion dollar companies and who donates to their school. However Kate is sick and she’s sending Anna to the interview for her. When Anna gets to the office she feels incredibly out of place and first thing when she steps into his office she falls. Coming face to face with Christian Grey is unlike anything she’s ever experienced before and now she wants him and he definitely wants her. So begins the tale of their lives.

I actually really enjoyed Anna. From what I had heard her character was some weak small minded girl who bent to everything Christian wanted. That was totally not the case. In my personal opinion she suffers from low self-esteem but outwardly to the people around her she is stable and self-reliant. I liked that about her. I could totally relate to putting on a front but on the inside feeling anything but strong or confident. I do it every day. Anyway when she meets Christian it is an insta-connection but at the same time he puts her off. After their relationship starts she’s very experimental when it comes to their sex life and their relationship together but she also makes it clear what she wants. He gives her a load of gifts which she doesn’t like because she doesn’t want him for his money. All in all I found her character relatable and enjoyable.

Christian is…I wasn’t so sure about his character until I got some back story. He had an extremely messed up childhood I won’t give away and so he tries to control everything in his life, including his women. Sounds strange but you know if something’s working why change it, right? Anna and Christian butt heads a lot since she’s so strong willed and so is he but I thought that made for interesting conversations and banter. Anyway Christian is very closed off about his personal life and only when Anna came into his life did he start to kind of change the way their relationship was. It seems too good to be true but a lot of that was due to odd meeting times and things.

The romance in this book was good. They did go back and forth on stuff but in bed they were totally in sync and I liked that. Like I said though if you’ve read any Dom Sub books before none of the sexual content or the Play Room will be surprising. If you haven’t heard any of that stuff before…well it’s a bit shocking but honestly I just think people like different stuff.

I think what really sold me on this book was how it wasn’t just sex. I mean there is A LOT of sex but it wasn’t the whole book in my personal opinion. It was conversations and conflicts and figuring out what a relationship is for two people who have never had one. Families are met and friends are met. There’s crying and fighting and laughing and feelings of inadequacy. That’s a real relationship. I loved their banter and all the characters were great and they felt like real characters and all of them had a role in the story and didn’t just fall to the way side. I liked that too. Seriously though, I liked that this book wasn’t just sex because seriously that gets old really quickly for me.

Now if you are looking at my rating you will notice that while my review is full of stellar awesome things I have to say I did have a pet peeve and it irritated me so much I really couldn’t give this book a five star. The “oh my” thing that Anna thinks to herself all the freaking time got real old real quick for me. I’m taking about every time I saw that in the book I wanted to hurl my kindle across the room because it was so repetitive and so just unneeded at times I could not stand it. Does it sound stupid? Maybe but I swear on my life that little part was in the book about 200 times by the first eight chapters. What the hell you couldn’t freaking think of another thing to say? Gah!!!!

All in all, I will totally be reading the second book. Kind of excited to see what happens with Anna and Christian since this book left off on a cliff hanger.

Swoon: 
“I want you sore, baby,” he murmurs, and he continues his sweet, leisurely torment, backward, forward. “Every time you move tomorrow, I want you to be reminded that I’ve been here. Only me. You are mine.” 

Teaser: 
“I still want more," I whisper. 
"I know," he says. "I'll try." I blink up at him, and he relinquishes my hand and pulls at my chin, releasing my trapped lip. "For you, Anastasia, I will try.” 

Favorite Quote: I don’t drink coffee either hehe 
“I am going to have coffee with Christian Grey... and I hate coffee.”

I’m a former TV executive, wife and mother-of-two based in the leafy suburbs of West London. Since January 2012 my life has taken an extraordinary turn with the runaway success of the Fifty Shades Trilogy. From an early age I had always dreamt of writing stories that readers would fall in love with – and my dreams have come true, thanks to you guys. Now that life seems to have settled down a little, I want to crack on and write my next novel – another adult, provocative romance. I do hope you will enjoy that too. Thank you for all your support. It has meant the world to me. If any one were to ask me for my thoughts about this whole experience, I would say: life is not a dress rehearsal – seize the day and follow your dreams. I wish you the best of luck. EL November 2012
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...