Monday, July 21, 2014

ARC Review: Second Chances by H.M. Ward & Stacey Mosteller

Book Info:
Title: Second Chances
ARC Copy
325 pages
Publication: by H.M. WARD PRESS
Release Date: July 21st 2014
Goodreads
Get Your Copy:

Blurb:
A Novel by New York Times Bestselling Author H.M. Ward and Stacey Mosteller

Sex. Betrayal. Forbidden Love. Lawn Boy.

I'm not a catch, I'm not even certain I'm what they'd call 'mentally stable,' not anymore. Too much has happened too fast and it ripped my soul in half. I'm alone, with a plastic stick in my hand that says the one word we'd been so eager to see.

Pregnant.


Lucky in love once is a miracle, but I lost him, and this baby is all I have left. My life turned to ash in a blink and there's nothing I can do about it.

Years pass and I'm still here, but it doesn't feel like it, not until the lawn guy, Daniel Clemment, checks me out. Me. A yoga-panting, pony tailing, frumpy-butt, frizzy mommy who's covered in whatever the baby tossed on me at lunch.

Daniel's dark eyes linger too long, as if he likes what he sees. I'm shocked and flattered, but he's too young. The age gap between us is over a decade, but that doesn't stop him. If I sleep with him everyone will think I've lost my mind. Maybe I have, because everyday that I see Dan's sexy, toned body glistening in the sunlight, I consider feeling him pressed against me, naked. The few times his fingers grazed my skin were heaven, but once the clothes come off--he's a god and I'm... me.

I've been alone for so long. Surely one kiss won't hurt anything, one taste of his mouth should be harmless. Things don't have to go that far, but I'm wrong.

Love only comes around once in a lifetime. Only fools think otherwise, and I'm the biggest fool of them all.

My Review:
When Gen found out she was pregnant she couldn’t have been happier. Then a few days later she’s informed that her husband has died. Now she has to raise her son on her own. She never thought it would be so hard. She lives every day trying to do her best. Second Chances is Genevieve’s story about how she went from surviving to living again with her lawn boy.

I’ve seen a lot of awesome loving reviews for this book and I would love to say I am one of them, but I’m not. While I LOVE H.M. Ward and her work with all my heart I’m not going to lie and say I LOVED this book when I didn’t even though I’m a huge fan. I enjoyed this book so let’s get that straight now. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy this book because I did. I couldn’t tear myself away from the screen as I read for the two hours it took me to read Second Chances even though I was hungry. So I DID enjoy the story I just didn’t love it.

Gen is an enjoyable character to read about. She is a single mom who struggles every day to do everything she can to provide for her son. Meanwhile everyone wants her to move on and go on a date. They want her to find a dad for CJ. Gen struggles with that throughout the book. She is constantly being criticized by her mother and her “friends” and by herself. It’s a constant battle for her.

Daniel the lawn boy has been in her life for a long time and when he helps her when she’s at her lowest she begins to notice him in ways she never has before. He isn’t the boy who first started working for her when he was fifteen. He’s all man now and he’s great with CJ and great with her as well. Daniel’s all about being her second chance at happiness. Plus Daniel is a total hottie and I mean come on, who doesn’t want a sexy half-dressed guy pushing a lawn mower in their front lawn? I’m here to tell you wherever I need to go to sign up for one you let me know asap!

So Gen’s “friends” I didn’t really like al that much. They were critical and total jerks about almost everything Gen did. Also, even though they knew that Gen and her mother don’t get along they constantly brought the mom over for surprise visits. WTF ass hats really? And then there’s the mom. First off I have to say I found it hilarious that the mother reminds me of my grandmother whose last name and also my last name is Hewlett and the mother’s last name was Howlett. Pretty freaky funny if you ask me. The mother was a bitch no matter which way you spin that. Sorry to those mom fans out there but she was a bitch. She was constantly mocking and rude to Gen and was a manipulative wench about everything. So yeah, no wonder Gen wasn’t feeling better when she had all these jerks around her all the time to make her doubt herself.

Okay so here’s the thing, I have no Fucking idea why I didn’t love this book more. I know I never swear in my reviews but I am seriously frustrated with this. I have absolutely no idea why I didn’t enjoy this book except maybe it hit a little too close to home for me. I hated the way she judged herself and how everyone else in her life judged her. It sucked and I honestly couldn't comprehend keeping those people in my life. Actually when I was in that situation I got rid of those people in my life so yeah I didn't see what made them good enough to keep in this book. So sadly I could only give this book 3.5 batty rating if only because the secondary characters relationship and how Gen acted like everything they did was okay pissed me off. 

Second Chances is beautifully written and it is gut wrenching and hot and beautiful. I think my emotions just weren’t in this one. So that being said I did enjoy reading  Second Chances. This is definitely an amazing story and I am so happy I got a chance to read it early.

H.M. Ward is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling New Adult author, having sold over 5 million books since her debut in 2011. This NEW YORK TIMES, WALL STREET JOURNAL, USA TODAY, and Amazon #1 bestselling writer's series include: THE FERRO FAMILY: DAMAGED, THE ARRANGEMENT, and STRIPPED; as well as SCANDALOUS, TRYSTAN SCOTT, and SECRETS. Ward was recently featured in FORBES, the WALL STREET JOURNAL, and the WASHINGTON POST. Find H.M. Ward Here: Website| Blog| Twitter| Facebook| Goodreads| Pintrest
Mother. Wife. Reader. Writer. Not necessarily in that order! Stacey lives in Hickory, North Carolina with her husband and three boys ages 15, 13 and 8. She constantly has her nose stuck in a book and prefers book characters to real people. In addition to writing, she runs the site Reading Rainblog where she blogs about her thoughts on books that she reads. Stacey also has an unhealthy addiction to Twitter and Facebook and can usually be online tormenting her favorite fictional characters. She believes that sleep is for normal people and spends most of her night dosing herself with Blueberry Red Bull when she isn’t drinking Cupcake Moscato d’Asti. Find Stacey Mosteller here: Website| Facebook| Twitter| Goodreads| Pinterest| Instagram
What do you all think? Going to give Second Chances a chance? Have any of you ever read anything by Stacey of Holly? If so like/dislike?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...