Thursday, June 5, 2014

Review: Born in Vengeance by Camelia Skiba


Book Info:
Title: Born in Vengeance
Kindle Edition
Published Treasure Books Publishing
Release Date: May 9th 2013 by 
Genre: Adult, Romance, Historical Romance
Get Your Copy: Amazon, B&N

Blurb:
Originally published as a short story titled I WAS HERE--BEFORE YOU CAME, this stand-alone version includes an expanded storyline and excerpts from BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends, #2), all that you would expect from a full novel.
Legend has it … centuries after Spartacus another hero is born—Ilias, the bastard son of King Decebalus. Thirsty for revenge and eager to unshackle the Roman oppression, Ilias’ obsession to fulfill his oath has no bounds, even if that means kidnapping Nerva, the beloved daughter of Emperor Traianus. What he doesn’t know is his own heart threatens to betray his conscience.
What will prevail: his mind or his heart?

My Review:
Ilias, son of Decebelus, King of the Dacians, has sworn vengeance against the Romans. The Romans destroyed his home, his lands and his family. Now he lives only for revenge and avenging his family. However, when that day finally comes he comes face to face with Nerve, the Kings daughter. Having stolen her to bring the King to his knees he never expected she may be everything he wants. Now all Ilias wants is to protect her, but in doing so he will be going against everything he wanted and the wishes of his brothers.

While the writing in this story was really fantastic and fluent I have a hard time getting into this story. I couldn’t connect with any of the characters very well and I’m not sure why. They all just seemed the same and dull to me. The plot while original didn’t pull me in or keep me wanting to turn the page. This book just wasn’t for me.

I had a couple more issues with this book and that was how after Ilias kidnapped, threatened, and then almost got Nerva killed she falls for him out of nowhere and asks him to have sex with her. That made literally no sense to me. I mean he saved her life but, that was only after he put her in danger in the first place. 

Then Ilias who yeah throughout the story thought Nerva was beautiful beyond belief fell for her too out of nowhere. The whole first part of the book talks about how he can’t wait to kill her and how annoying and spoiled she is. Then the minute she becomes sick it’s “oh I love her, I can’t let her die, I’m going to not fight because I love her.” Where in the world did that come from? Was it just attraction?

All in all an interesting plot, with some great writing from the talented Camelia Skriba but this story just wasn’t for me.

Thank you Camelia Skiba for the reviewers copy.

Teaser:
My epistle must be in Traianus' hands by now. I wish I could see his face, waking up to his family’s and disciples’ screams, desperate to find out Nerva's gone.
There will be no betrothal.
If he wants her back, he must fight my army. He must remember where my father died. I know that place like the back of my hand. It’s the place he’ll reunite with Nerva. The sorrow and pain he feels now will be nothing compared with what he’ll feel then. I will make sure of that.



I write. I live. I love. I dream. I write.
Who I was yesterday … I’m no longer today, nor will I be tomorrow. Each day I grow a little. I stumble, get up, and learn something. I wish and dream and want and look to the future. Who I am is not important, but what I leave behind is.

Find Camelia Skiba at these sites: Wesbite/ Facebook/ Twitter/ Goodreads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...