Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott

Book Info:
Title: Fire and Flood
Kindle Edition
320 pages
Published by Scholastic Press
Release Date: February 25th 2014
Add to Goodreads
Get Your Copy: Amazon, B&N

Blurb:
A modern day thrill ride, where a teen girl and her animal companion must participate in a breathtaking race to save her brother's life—and her own.

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?


My Review:
Holy wow! I completely love this book. Honestly I’m surprised since I wasn’t in love with Ms. Scott’s Dante novels, but wow! Of Fire and Flood was just perfect.

After Tella’s brother Cody gets sick and the doctors have no hope in finding a cure for him. When Tella gets a package on her bed mysteriously inviting her to the Brimstone Bleed Tella takes off to get an egg and then to the train station to find a way to get a cure for her brother. What she never expected was for her egg to hatch with powers or to wake up in a race in the wilderness with hundred of other people surrounding her in an environment she is so not prepared to survive in. Now Tella has three months to survive in four different environments if she has any chance of saving her brother.

At first I didn’t really like Tella. I’m not sure exactly what it was but Tella and I didn’t immediately connect. Tella gave off the vibe of the popular prissy girl we all want to avoid in high school. She cares a lot about her looks and material items. After the book really got going though the girly girl layer of Tella peeled back and shows a gentle and caring Tella who will do anything for the people she cares about. While Tella is participating in the Brimstone Bleed that’s when I really fell in love with her character. She becomes fierce and determined and majorly kicks ass as far as I’m concerned. Sure sometimes she thought about shoes and make-up instead of surviving, but that’s her character and I think a complete lack of that would have really not been true to her character. While she has her flaws I think her character growth and fierce loyalty are what won her over for me. Totally Team Tella!

I know in a race to find a cure for a loved one you wouldn’t think there would be romance in the air but come on peeps this is YA there’s gotta be romance in there somewhere. Guy is all kinds of sexy. He knows all different ways to survive and while at first he seems like the cold stand -offish type he really is sweet. Fire and Flood definitely had many moments where I was like “COME ON AND FREAKING KISS” but I have to say it was worth the wait! The romance is not hot and heavy or anything like that. It’s sweet and gentle and while fierce in it’s own right I think it fit the characters and the novel perfectly in how it wasn’t too much too fast. Plus I mean they’re in the middle of running for their lives so getting hot and heavy would have been awkward.

Tella teams up with s group of people who both her and I grew to love. They become a family of sorts who take care of each other and in the end all care for on another.

Honestly some of the scenes in this book were freaking horrible and just mind- boggling. Some of the people are so twisted and horrible it really was insane how people grouped together in a lets team up and work together versus lets kill everything and everyone that gets in our way. Plus there were leaches and people losing limbs and just wow. I think the gruesome aspects truly made this book even better and all the most realistic.

I loved the Pandora’s. Think of Pokemon as that’s basically the right idea for what a Pandora is. They’re so amazing! Even the more evilish one’s I truly grew to love and felt for them. I loved the idea of the contestants each having one. They were definitely a surprise and I grew to love them as much as I loved the characters. They’re an important part of the books story and Madox was freaking adorable. I’m not sure I would be able to let mine go if I had one.

Fire and Flood is full of intense fast suspenseful scenes that left me feeling so many emotions I honestly can not hope to express them all in this review and sound even remotely coherent. Fire and Flood is in my opinion worlds different then the Dante novels. Victoria Scott is honestly an amazing writer and Fire and Flood definitely proved that. This novel honestly reminds me a lot of Hunger Games so if you’re a fan then I believe you’ll definitely fall in love with Fire and Flood.

I loved this book. I honestly can’t gush enough about it. A little slow in the beginning for me and Tella being a tad annoying also in the beginning but the rest of the book was fan-freaking-tastic. I couldn’t tear myself away from this book for a minute once it started picking up. The writing and the characters and just everything was amazing. Plus Guy is a total babe so I mean who doesn’t love a guy with abs who also kicks major butt and is smart? He’s like the total package deal. Seriously though if you haven’t read this book yet, you need to, like yesterday. It was amazing or amazeballs!

Thank you Scholastic Press and Netgalley for this amazing book!

Teaser:
“Maybe it’s the way he’s been acting since he saw the talking device, or the weird way he whispered with my mom before dinner, or even the way he nodded to Cody like there was something big the two of them were hiding. Regardless, I decide to move in closer without revealing myself.”

Swoon:
“Guy pulls me closer and kisses me deeper until there are only him and me and the feel of our skin. I shiver as his hands move up my back and wrap around my neck. His tongue slides into my mouth and heat floods my body.”


Victoria Scott is a teen fiction writer represented by Sara Crowe of the Harvey-Klinger Literary Agency. She’s the author of the FIRE & FLOOD series published by Scholastic, and the DANTE WALKER trilogy published by Entangled Teen. Her books have been bought and translated in eleven foreign markets including the UK, Turkey, China, Poland, Israel, Germany, Australia, Brazil, Taiwan, New Zealand, and the Netherlands.

Victoria lives in Dallas with her husband and hearts cotton candy something fierce

Check out Victoria Scott at these sites: Website/ Blog/ Facebook/ Twitter/ Goodreads
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...