Sunday, March 16, 2014

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Book Info:
Title: Crown of Misnight
Hardcover
420 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Published by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: August 27th 2013
Add to Goodreads
Get Your Copy: Amazon, B&N

Blurb:
An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.


After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?
My Review:
Holy smokes! I have no doubt in my mind I just re-fell in love with the Throne of Glass series. Crown of Midnight was action packed nonstop awesomeness. I fell in love with Celeana Sardothien from the first pages of Throne of Glass and I loved how I got to see more of her as both an assassin and as a regular person.

So, Crown of Midnight had loads of Celeana who I love. She is everything I love in a female character strong, passionate, and can kick ass. I loved getting to know Celeana’s character even more in Crown of Midnight. Her assassin side really comes out and it is a pretty horrifying thing. I definitely wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of her wrath. Celeana also shows and reveals a lot about herself in that she would do anything for the people she loves even if she’s upset with them. She definitely goes through a lot of rough spots in this book where she’s tested and goes through major character development through each trial. She’s not perfect of anything like that but I definitely love that she continues to surprise me and grow as a character and I really can’t wait to see how she turns out in the end.

Chaol…wow I am so freaking happy about what happened with that. To the Dorian fans out there I’m sorry. However, there is a lot of revealing stuff about Dorian and his secrets will change everything. Anyway back to Chaol I was so shocked at the character I wouldn’t say change but I guess I’ll go with that. Chaol in Throne of Glass was more aloof and standoffish. Gone is that character and in Crown of Midnight we get a Chaol that is vulnerable, passionate, and so much sexier than in book one. I fell in love with Chaol in book one, so book boyfriend material and I love him even more now after book two.

I was really sad with everything that happened between Choal and Celeana. They are an amazing couple. They understand each other and are equals in a lot of ways I didn’t notice in Throne of Glass. Crap hits the fan though and the same issue as to why they may not be able to work out rears its ugly head: Chaol is loyal to his kingdom above a lot of things and that is and probably will become a bigger problem than it already is. Especially, now that the secret surrounding Celeana’s identity is finally revealed Chaol’s loyalty and his relationship with Celeana will be tested.

One of my favorite aspects about this series is that it’s not all just one characters perspective. Thinking about how this book is set up even a dual character pov book wouldn’t really work since there is so much going on. Chaol, Dorian, and Celeana all learn different secrets that will change their lives and especially after what happens at the end of Crown of Midnight it will be almost essential to have their differing pov’s.

Okay so my absolute favorite aspect of Crown of Midnight had to be the mystery of it all. Sarah J. Maas kept me guessing the entire book and while I figured out some things by myself before the character realized most of the time I was left in the dark until the secrets were revealed to the characters. I just loved how sometimes even after a character would figure out a “clue” sometimes I wouldn’t find out until much later what it was they figured out. The constant guessing in Crown of Midnight definitely kept me on my toes and I so cannot wait for book three: Heir of Fire!

Point is if you haven’t started this amazing series yet, you need to. I wouldn’t read Crown of Midnight without reading the novella’s that intro to book one. There are A LOT of subtle references that you’ll want to be clued in on and you won’t get that without the novellas.

I loved Crown of Midnight from the darkest moments, to the steamy moments I couldn’t help but fall in love. Celeana, Choal, and Dorian are amazing characters and they are almost impossible not to love. Crown of Midnight is so full of mystery and action packed scenes I could barely put it down even for a minute!

Teaser:
“All twenty men at the table fell silent, including his father, whose eyes went straight to the thing dangling from Celaena’s hand. Chaol was already striding across the room from his post by the door. But he, too, stopped when he beheld the object she carries.
A head.”

Swoon:
“The kiss obliterated her.
It was like coming home or being born or suddenly finding an entire half of herself that had been missing.
His lips were hot and soft against hers-still tentative.”



I’m a 25 year-old YA fantasy author living in the desert in Southern California. My debut novel, Throne of Glass, was published by Bloomsbury Children’s in August, 2012. (Book Two – Crown of Midnight - will release sometime in Fall 2013.)

I was born/raised in Manhattan, but traded freezing winters and sweltering summers for No Winter Ever Weather when I followed my then-boyfriend (now husband!) out to California in 2008. I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Hamilton College with a degree in Creative Writing, and a minor in Religious Studies. I’m represented by Tamar Rydzinski of the Laura Dail Literary Agency.

Check Sarah out at these sites: Website/ Blog/ Twitter/ Facebook/ Goodreads
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...