Thursday, January 23, 2014

Review: Rule by Jay Crownover

Book Info:
Title: Rule
Series: Marked Men #1
Kindle Edition
432 pages
Published by William Morrow Paperbacks
Release Date: May 7th 2013
Add to TBR Pile
Get Your Copy: Amazon, B&N

Blurb:
Opposites in every way . . . except the one that matters

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight--A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want--and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess-and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw-even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails, and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love . . . or each other.


My Review:
Oh my goodness oh my goodness I cannot believe I waited this long to read this! I am such an idiot!

Tattoos have never been so sexy.

Shaw has been in love with Rule since the first time she met him. Problem is he only sees her as a stuck up preppy girl who was his dead twin brother’s girl. Problem is she was never Remy’s girl just his best friend. Keeping Remy’s secret and everyone in her life happy with her disapproving parents, her crappy boyfriend and Rule’s parents happy isn’t easy and it’s wearing on her.

Rule doesn’t want to care about anything or anyone. He hates visiting his parents because he’ll never be his dead brother. Every Sunday is torture and the only reason he goes is because Shaw picks him up every day. Rule is a tattoo artist who has great friends but a “don’t give a crap about anything” attitude.

When Shaw finally breaks out of her perfect ad polished shell and into the woman she wants to be everything changes. Now Rule can’t get the night with Shaw out of his head and decides to see where their relationship can go. It’s a dream come true for Shaw since she’s been in love with him forever, but not everything is perfect and Rule has a lot of issues he needs to get over to finally realize his feelings for the girl who has always loved him.

“So Nash and I went out and there were redheads and there were brunettes and there was even a super-hot chick that looked kinda like Pink but you think any of them did it for me?   No, Shaw not one because they weren’t fucking you and ever since you walked out on Sunday all I’ve been thinking of is you.   Now why is that?”

I am in love with this book. I am so glad I read it! At the end of the year I was in a bit of a book rut but no more! Reading Rule was the perfect medicine! It’s great. I love ALL of the freaking characters because they all play a role with the story. I love the romance and how even though the characters had sex it wasn’t all about that.

Shaw is an amazing female protagonist. She’s strong even when she doesn’t see it and while she’s not perfect I think she’s an awesome role model when it came to doing what was right for her. I loved her character there was never a point in the story where I wanted to hit her on the head or anything.

“I deserve it all because I’m willing to give it all.  I would have
worked through the darkness with you, Rule.  What I won’t do is watch you walk
away from me every time something happens that has the potential to hurt you”

Rule is sexy at least in my mind. I love how he’s rough around the edges and not perfect. He has flaws and that made him all the better and realistic. I like how he was true to his character through the entire book and while he did grow as a character he was still his cocky sexy self from the beginning.

Family drama, piercings, tattoos, stalkers, love this whole story is filled with angst and page turning awesomeness. If you haven’t read this series yet you need to. I read Rule in one sitting and Jay Crownover is a new favorite author of mine as is the Marked Men Series. Bring on the next book.

Amazingly Sweet Quote:
“What if I ask you to give me everything, Shaw? What if I want it all? Won't that make me just like all the rest of them?"
She made a noise in her throat and then broke into a smile that nearly killed me on the spot. She was just so lovely and pure. "No, because you don't have to ask for anything. All of it is already yours. You're the only one I've ever wanted to give it to.” 


I'm supposed to share interesting details about myself so that my readers get to know me so here we go in no particular order: I'm an natural redhead even though I haven't seen my real hair color in years, I'm a big fan of tattoos and have a half sleeve on either arm and various other pieces all over the place, I've been in the bar industry since I was in college and it has always offered interesting insight into how men and women interact with each other, I have 3 dogs that are all crazy, I live in Colorado and love the snow, I love music and in all reality wish I could be a rock star not a writer or a bartender but I have zero talent so there is that.
I love to write, love to read and all I'm interested in is a good story with interesting characters that make the reader feel something.
Thanks for taking the time to check my stuff out....
Jay Crownover

Check Jay out at these sites:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...