Saturday, September 28, 2013

Author Interview & Top 10 with Sarra Cannon

Hiya everyone I have a special treat for everyone on here today! An interview with Sarra Cannon! She kindly agreed to do an interview with me in support of her being my Author or the Month! How awesomesauce is that? Let's get to it!

1. What gave you the idea for your first series: "Beautiful Demons?"
I was actually watching a marathon of Veronica Mars when I had this idea about a girl who solves mysteries in her high school by using magic. That was the original tiny spark of an idea. I started with Tori's murder and Harper being blamed for it, but as I played around with the idea and began writing, the story changed and morphed into what it is today. It's funny because it didn't turn out like Veronica Mars at all, but I still love it!

 
2. Did you ever expect as many people to love your books as they do?
I have been blown away by the response to my books! I honestly expected to self-publish and have maybe 100 people ever read them. Every time I publish a new book, I hold my breath waiting to see what everyone thinks. When the good reviews start coming, I finally start to relax! It's such a dream come true.
 
3. Hardest part about writing and getting your book out there is or was?
Having the confidence and dedication to sit down every single day and write. I love writing, don't get me wrong, but keeping up with writing several books a year is tough and takes a lot of determination and motivation! 
 
4. Which character that you've written so far have you liked the most? Do your other characters ever get jealous of said character?.
There are so many to love! I guess I would have to say Harper is my all-time favorite, though. Probably because I've been writing her for the longest. Still, Parrish from my book, Death's Awakening has to be a close second. I love girls who start out a bit unsure of themselves and grow into confident, kick-butt heroines!
*I hear that!*

5. Is blue your favorite color? I noticed in the Peachville High Demons books the stones, and cheer-leading outfits were blue and so is your hair so...blue?
Haha, I changed my hair to pink for now, so maybe I go back and forth between which color is my favorite? I do love blue, though. And pink. And purple. I use a lot of color when I write - color-coded pens and stickers and post-its.
 

6. Who in your life has been the biggest support and who was the first person besides yourself that read your first book?
My husband, George, without a doubt. He's been my biggest supporter from the very first day I decided to try to write a novel. He actually allowed me to quit my job as a teacher to pursue writing. He is also the first person to read all of my books. We take walks every single day to talk about my characters and plot. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him! 
 *Aww!*

7. Have you always wanted to be a writer or did you ever want to be something else like Unicorn Slayer or Firewoman?
Believe it or not, I actually went to school to be a singer. I studied Opera at Vanderbilt University, then went on to get a Master's Degree in vocal performance. I will say, though, that professional Zombie Slayer does sound pretty enticing...
8. I am a huge fan of Jackson who was oh-so-swoon worthy in your Beautiful Demons books, did you base Jackson off of someone you know personally?
No, I honestly think Jackson just appeared to me out of nowhere. I don't know anyone quite like him, but man, would I like to!! He seems so real to me, as if he always existed and was just waiting for me to discover him. I'm so excited to write his story next.
 
*I wish Jackson would just appear to me..8)*
 
9. There are more Peachville Demons books coming out, what made you decide you wanted to continue the story after having the first series/season end at book 6 "Demons Forever"?
As I started writing Demons Forever, I realized that the story couldn't really end there. Sure, the first series would take care of the blue demon gates, but what about the rest of them? What about the other High Priestesses? I knew I would have to come back and explore more of this exciting world in the future.
 
*Thank goodness because I was dying to know what would happen next!*
 
10. What's one thing from your own life that was transferred into your books, or characters from any of your works?
I am obsessed with Hello Kitty. Almost every book or series I've ever written has at least one reference to Hello Kitty. Also, my high school mascot was a Red Devil, so Peachville's Blue Demon mascot was modeled after my own past. 

Quick: 
Favorite Food: Pizza
Favorite Color: Ahhh!!! Pink! Blue! No, Purple!
Chicken or Beef: Steak :)
Crayons or Colored Pencils: Colored pencils for sure.
Long Walks or Long Naps: Long naps!
Read a book or write a book: Both :)
Pie or cake: Cake, duh.
Pink or Purple: Don't make me choooseeeee!!

Hope everyone enjoyed that! Check out Sarra Cannon and her amazing books here: Website/ Blog/ Goodreads/ Facebook/ Twitter

To buy her books go: Amazon, B&N 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...