Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Blog Tour: Slow Burning Fire

Book Info:
Title: Slow Burning Fire
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 220
Published by Astraea Press 
Release Date: May 7th 2013 
To Buy: Amazon

Book Description:
Ever since super star, Arial Oakley, could remember, she's been in love with her hunky co-star Bryce Valentine. The only problem: Bryce has been in a relationship with another ac-tress for quite some time. Not wanting to be “the other woman”, Arial never pursued any of her feelings for him despite how well they connected.

When Bryce suddenly becomes single, both of their worlds are flipped upside down. To help him nurse his aching heart, Arial invites him back home to her family farm for some much needed peace and quiet from the paparazzi.

What neither of them expects is to fall in love: with the calm, with the country, with each other. But how much of it is real, and how much of it is a means to escape a broken heart?


My Review:
I received a copy of Slow Burning Fire for an honest review.

Arial Oakley has been in love with her co-star Bryce Valentine for the past nine years. Now that the show has ended and Bryce’s long term girlfriend have finally split up Bryce isn’t sure what he wants to do for the summer months. Arial is going home and after helping Bryce get home from a night out she invites him to her family farm for the next two months. What neither of them expect is to fall in love and when feelings continue to grow and be realized between the two of them they both take the leap but the process is slow like a slow burning fire.

Dull:
I felt the entire book was dragged on and on and on…etc. Everything seemed to be repeated and nothing happened until the last like ten pages which was frustrating. The entire book went something like:

Arial: I’m in love with my best friend but he’s in love with his ex and now I’m emo.
Bryce: I’m not so happy with the last nine years of my life and actually I’m in love with my best friend but I should just wait this out.
LALALALAALA: Same thing until almost end and thenà
Almost ending: Byrce: I love you. Arial: I’m running away from you.
Then they both fall madly in love and blah blah blah.
The end.

Not even lying that was the entire book and I really was kinda ticked. Slow Burning Fire was right because it took for-freaking-ever for this book to pick up into something.

Cliché:
 Best friends in love each other but don’t realize it and then deny it because they don’t want to ruin anything and end up falling in love a+nyway…sound familiar anyone? I don’t know I felt like this book was just a big cliché moment because it seemed so obvious they would end up together even though they were best friends.

Character Flaws:
*sigh* this book seemed to have very flat characters with no real depth other than what they said. All of their thoughts and actions were kind of shallow and they seemed to not really be what they portrayed. Like they said they were in their early and late twenties but they acted a lot younger and very inexperienced in all things. I think the author tried to make them seem jaded and cold sometimes but they just came across as moody teenagers. I also didn’t like how Arial was always calm cool and collected and then out of nowhere she was a completely different character. None of the teasing or interactions between any of the characters seemed real and I think that aspect made none of the characters relatable or likeable.

Author tried too hard:
The wording choice in this book seemed forced in that the author was hand picking every word instead of having it flow naturally. The words and flow were very chopping and made for difficult reading.

Overall:
The book was dull and flat to me. I thought the author forced every single word out and that aspect really affected my reading and just how I reacted and related to the characters. I also felt the book was slow moving and predictable. All in all I wouldn’t recommend this book but I know other readers have enjoyed it but it just wasn’t for me.




About the Author:
J.F. Jenkins lives in Minneapolis Minnesota with her husband, son, and two cats. She graduated from Bethel University in 2006 with a degree in Media Communication with minors in both writing and film. When she is not busy writing, she spends her free time playing games, reading, and spending time with her family.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...