Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review: Forgive My Fins

Book Info:
Title: Forgive My Fins 
Series: Fins #1
Paperback 
336 pages
Genre:Young Adult, Fantasy
Published by Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: June 28th 2011
Add to Goodreads
To Buy: B&N, Amazon

Book Description:
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.


Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.




My Review:
Lily Sanderson is a mermaid princess. When Lily found out her mother was human Lily wanted to be closer to her by living on land for a couple of years with her Aunt Rachel. Now almost a graduated senior Lily is about to return home without her chosen mate to help her claim the thrown. When Lily finally works up the courage to ask her long time crush Brody Bennett to the dance she’s turned down but gets help from her long time arch nemesis Quince Fletcher who says he’ll get them together at the dance. Too bad the plan doesn’t go as planned and with a kiss Quince is turning into a mer and Lily must take him home to her mermaid home in Thalassinia to get a separation before Quince becomes Lily’s life time mate. Nothing goes as planned though when Lily’s father and ruler of all mer people insists they take a couple weeks and a test to think about whether they’re compatible. What Lily didn’t count on was that her three yearlong tormentor may actually have feelings for her and the boy Lily’s been lusting after for the past couple years may not be who she belongs with after all.

Oh my goodness so I have been on the frits from YA books for a little while now due to other reading obligations but I am so happy one of my best friends let me barrow this book to me for a couple days so I could read it. Forgive My Fins was exactly the type of YA book that just embodies the many reasons YA is such an amazing genre. I have been a complete Tera Lynn Childs virgin all this time but no longer! I loved love loved Forgive My Fins! I couldn’t put it down and read it in one sitting then immediately had to start the sequel Fins Are Forever. Tera Lynn Childs definitely takes readers on a wild ride through this amazing story with a magical world, great writing, and wonderfully relatable and hilarious characters.

Forgive My Fins is such a great book but I really did loathe at some points just how naive Lily was about some things. I couldn’t really not like Lily for how she acted all that much since I mean I was in high school not long ago and had a terrible tendency to trust the wrong people or sometimes see them for what I want to see and not who they really are. It’s a similar problem that Lily continues to have throughout the novel and while at times it makes her annoying I think since she grew as a character I could let the annoyingness slide.

All in all Forgive My Fins is an amazing YA book that truly made me appreciate the amazing genre that is YA. I will definitely be reading more from Tera Lynn Childs due to her amazing world building and even better writing. I can’t wait to read more and I highly suggest Forgive My Fins to all YA readers and or fans of mermaid stories.





About the Author:
Tera Lynn Childs is the award-winning author of the mythology-based OH. MY. GODS. and GODDESS BOOT CAMP, the mermaid tales FORGIVE MY FINS, FINS ARE FOREVER, and JUST FOR FINS (July 3rd, 2012), and a new trilogy about monster-hunting descendants of Medusa beginning with SWEET VENOM and SWEET SHADOWS (September 4, 2012). Tera lives nowhere in particular and spends her time writing wherever she can find a comfy chair and a steady stream of caffeinated beverages.
To Contact &/or Follow:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...