Friday, June 28, 2013

Review: Stained


Book Info:
Title: Stained
Series: Stained #1
Kindle Edition 
254 pages
Published by Barkley's Books 
Released: September 14th 2011 
To Buy: Amazon.com

Book Description:
After a fire destroys seventeen-year-old Julia’s home and kills her foster parents, she chases the half-demon responsible across the country and back, determined to avenge her family and discover why a host of celestial baddies want her dead. With Julia is enigmatic hottie - Cayne, who has his own score to settle with the half-demon, and who might be just as dangerous as the creature he and Julia hunt.



My Review:
I received a copy of Stained for an honest review.

All Julia wanted was one small night of rebellion instead she comes home in the middle of the night with her house on fire and her adoptive parents inside. Now alone Julia refuses to go back to the group home and runs away to a warehouse hoping to gain perspective and figure out where to go from there. Instead a drop dead gorgeous boy drops from the ceiling of the warehouse with a winged demon and begins to fight it. Insisting on finding out more about the creature that killed her parents she goes on a journey with her savior- Cayne to find out more about herself and to find Cayne’s stolen memories. The journey becomes more and more difficult as the pair begin to piece together the mystery surrounding each other.

While this story was a tad predictable in that Julia and Cayne would fall for each other but the rest I was completely thrown for a whirl with the rest of the story. Julia was a good character to read about. Her life wasn’t easy but hadn’t been horrible in the group home and she was strong, trusting, and only slightly annoying at times although it was understandable. Cayne is a totally swoon worthy guy who is a complete bad ars and saves the day a bunch of times. I really enjoyed the few chapters I got to read from his perspective and I really wish I could have gotten more from him. Stained reminded me of L.A. Weatherly’s Angel Trilogy because the couple started off not liking each other and then falling for each other as the journey went on which is maybe why I found Stained a tad predictable in that area.


Overall I really enjoyed Ella James’ introduction into the Stained series. While I wasn’t head over heels in love with Stained the story line and characters were original. The romance was barely there but oh well. I think young readers and some older readers will really enjoy Ella’s take on Nephilim and will enjoy the intro just as much as I did.
  
About the Author: I'm a 20-something sci-fi nerd with a journalism degree and a serious York Peppermint Pattie addiction. I spend my days baby-wrangling and dog-chasing and my nights tapping on my laptop and hanging out with my writer/editor husband. A fun day for me involves lots of writing, running, and researching topped off with some quality Kindle time. My life's goal is to find an empty cottage in an enchanted forest, install a solar panel for my laptop, and move in - never to be seen again, except in sweatpants.

To Contact or Follow: 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...