Monday, April 15, 2013

Review: The Rules (Project Paper Doll #1)

Book Info:
Title: The Rules
Addition: ARC
Pages: 410
Published by Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: April 23rd 2013
Series: Project Paper Doll
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction

Description:(goodreads)
1. Never trust anyone.

2. Remember they are always searching.

3. Don’t get involved.

4. Keep your head down.
5. Don’t fall in love.


Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…



My Review:
Initial Reaction:
I was a bit hesitant to read this book when I first won it a little while back. I had seen it around goodreads and a few other websites, but wasn’t sure if I was really interested. Plus I had never read any of Stacey Kade’s other novels so I was really nervous about whether I was going to like the writing style or not.

When Ariane Tucker escaped into the human populous ten years ago with her “father” Mark Tucker she thought the worst was over. High school and living in the real world is one of the biggest challenges she’s ever faced. The rules of society that haven’t been written down or shown on the television Ariane had to quickly pick up or risk being found by GTX the government organization that is looking for her.

Ariane thought everything was going great, until her best friend is the brunt of a cruel joke and Ariane breaks two of her rules: 3. Don’t get involved, and 4. Keep your head down. When a confrontation leads to Ariane going toe to toe with the most popular girl in school and loses control of her powers she knows she’s in trouble.
When Zane Bradshaw one of Rachel’s friends over hears her making plans to publically humiliate Ariane Zane signs up for the job. Zane Bradshaw has been watching Ariane since last year and now that the opportunity has come up he intends to get to know her better. When Zane instead comes up with a plan to humiliate Rachel instead of Ariane, he asks for her help.

At first everything in Ariane screams that she can’t help or trust Zane with his ridiculous plan. When circumstances change Ariane decides enough is enough andwants to give Rachel a taste of her own medicine. When a couple f dates bring Ariane closer to unlocking her powers, and to Zane she realizes she may be closer to breaking just about all the Rules she’s been living by, and is risking not just exposing herself to GTX but putting Zane’s life in danger.

The Rules in dual point of view with Ariane and Zane which I wasn’t expecting but loved a whole bunch. At first I totally thought Ariane and Zane’s relationship was going to be the so over done theme of popular guy likes loner girl type thing. Now while it may have been a theme their relationship totally worked. Both characters have a lot of emotional baggage and issues and I think that’s why their dynamic worked so well. I especially loved how the dual perspective between the two characters worked very well. Especially since Zane picks up on a lot of Ariane’s quirks and was very in tune with her as a person.

There was a lot of betrayal and twists in this book too let me just tell you. I mean seriously I did not see a lot of the stuff that was going to happen in The Rules, especially in the end. I mean seriously usually I can sort of guess what’s going to happen but Stacey Kade totally through me for a loop with this story. I totally loved that about this story. I felt more connected and less like I had time to try and figure out what was going on. Instead I more or less felt I was experiencing everything with the characters which was so totally amazing.

Cover love, seriously this cover is amazing! I love how Ariane has two different colored eyes as she does in the book. I love how Zane is in the corner. Ariane on the cover is totally how I imagined her in the book which rarely happens for me.

Oh oh and the title, I have been stressing about how a lot of the times I read books and I am like “where did they pull this title from?” Totally not the case for The Rules (Project Paper Doll #1), the title totally makes sense which just adds to its awesome factor.

My thoughts: well if you couldn’t tell from the review, I totally loved this book. I fell in love with Ariane from the first page and Zane from his first appearance in with his point of view. The story was like nothing I have ever read before and I just loved that so much. The story centers on the usual high school problems, like bullying, and finding out who you are, who your friends are, and boy troubles, totally relatable right? I mean who didn’t deal with that in high school?

The Rules is so different than anything I’ve read lately and while I’m not a hug sci-fi fan this story wasn’t overbearing with it. The Rules totally made me love YA again especially with the recent new fiction (NA) books being released I was veering away from YA. I loved the writing in The Rules, so realistic and I felt it was the actual characters thoughts and not just a writer telling a story. The Rules ending definitely left me wanting and begging for more. Cannot wait for the second addition to this amazing series! I would recommend The Rules who would like to try out a young adult sci-fi novel. I think this story is the perfect combination of supernatural and reality. 

Read Except: Here!

Favorite Quote/ Scene: There were so many scenes I loved in this book. Mainly all the ones in the car, but this scene makes me tear up with laughter every time I read it:

She narrowed her eyes. "I see." Definitely the sex. Just like his daddy. If Jay Bradshaw had kept his pants on a while longer, he could have married my Mindi, and...
"Mrs. Vanderhoff, we should get inside." Zane sounded a little desperate. "We don't want to miss out on the good booths."
"Of coarse, dear,  I understand," she said. But her hand, with bright pink nail fingernails to match her lipstick, reached out. "A few more minutes, though, won't-"
"And the sex," I said brightly to Zane. "Don't forget. We have to leave lots of time for sex."


About the Author:
As an award-winning corporate copywriter, Stacey Kade has written about everything from backhoe loaders to breast pumps. But she prefers to make things up instead.

She lives in the Chicago suburbs with her husband, Greg, and three retired racing greyhounds, Joezooka (Joe), Tall Walker (Walker) and SheWearsThePants (Pansy). When she’s not reading or writing, you’ll likely find her parked in front of the television with her Roswell DVDs, staring rapturously at Jason Behr.

The Ghost and the Goth is her first YA novel.

To contact:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...