Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Touched

Touched (Sense Thieves #1) by Corrine Jackson
Book Info:
Copy: Paperback 
343 pages
Published by Kensington Teen 
Release Date: November 27th 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Book Link: Book!
Author: Corrine Jackson

Synopsis:
Remy O’Malley heals people with touch—but every injury she cures becomes her own. Living in a household with an abusive stepfather, she has healed untold numbers of broken bones, burns,and bruises. And then one night her stepfather goes too far.

Being sent to live with her estranged father offers a clean start and she is eager to take it. Enter Asher Blackwell. Once a Protector of Healers, Asher sacrificed his senses to become immortal. Only by killing a Healer can a Protector recover their human senses. Falling in love is against the rules between these two enemies. Because Remy has the power to make Protectors human again, and when they find out, they’ll be coming for her—if Asher doesn’t kill her first.

This is Book One in the Touched trilogy.
 
 Book Trailer:
 
 
My Review:
You know those books that you just fall head over heels in love with? The ones that other people may not like and all you can think is: "I don't give two craps!"? Well this is one of those books for me.
 
Where to begin...
 
Remy O' Malley has had an impossible life. Her mother married an abusive man and the abuse doesn't just center around her mother getting beaten down, Remy is often hurt too. What may seem as an upside is that Remy can heal people when she touches them. Not always when she wants to but can. When her mother takes a hit, Remy heals her and takes the injuries on as her own.
 
One night when Remy's abusive stepfather is home and takes the abuse too far, Remy ends up in the hospital and so does her stepfather.
 
When Remy's real absentee father finally shows up he takes one look and her and decides he's taking her to live with him. Both relieved and bitter Remy moves to Blackwell Falls with her father and his new family. That's when she meets Asher Blackwell.
 
Asher Blackwell is the supposed bad boy in town. He drives a motorcycle and while has many friends keeps to himself. Remy feels an immediate connection to him and feels that he's different, just like her, only not. When instances keep bringing them together and Asher reveals he knows what Remy is, she's even more intrigued by him.

When a call informing Remy that her mother is on her death bed, she goes to the hospital to see her, feeling guilty about leaving her mother alone with Dean. When Remy tries to heal her mother, she wakes up and with her dying words tells her that her mother has a journal for her. Not until Remy gets home after another near death attack with Dean does Remy realize what and who she is, and what Asher is.

When the truth is finally revealed Remy and Asher realize that what and who they are, their powers could pose a danger to everyone they love.

Epic right? Well I thought so. Alright let's start with characters.

Remy, well Remy at first I thought she was going to be a difficult character to like. I mean years of abuse and little love will make a person hard. But Remy is an awesome character, she's caring and loving to a fault, she has a lot of problems with trust and with feeling self worth. I loved her though. She's a strong female protagonist who I just couldn't help but like. She's loyal, and I don't know she just seems like the kind of character that's easy to understand. Her life is tough but I think she had amazing character growth throughout the book that made her all the more amazing as a character.

Asher is yummy. I could lick him seriously. I like when I found out how old her really is because it's obvious he's not eighteen and I loved that he stayed true to his character. He's old fashioned, and sweet, and well spoken. Pretty much almost every girls dream. While Asher seems like a ars sometimes, it's easy to tell it's because he cares. 

Remy's and Asher's family are awesome. There are times you'll love them, times you'll hate them, but all in all they're both great. I loved Lucy, and Gabe, and Ben. Those were honestly my three favorite characters in the book besides Remy and Asher. Oh and Remy's friends were pretty amazing too, wish they were in the book more but hopefully in the next few books.

Touched is honestly nothing like I have ever read before. There is so much suspense, and I just love how Corrine Jackson wrote the story in a way where the suspense builds and builds, killing you until the last second and even then it's never over. I loved the romantic moments in this story, and the family moments, and just all of it. This book will definitely be one of those books I will cherish for a lifetime.
 
Favorite Quote:
"What did my brother say to you, Remy?" 
I had to swallow the lump in my throat to speak as I remembered Gabe's warning. "I don't want to hurt you."
He dropped his hands and cursed. At least, I thought he cursed. He spoke rapidly in another language. I blinked, waiting for him to run out of steam and was impressed by how long it took for him to run out of words. "I'm going to kill Gabe."
I didn't realize he'd switched to English for a moment. A smile lifted the corners of my lips against my will. "What language was that?"
His voice tightened in anger. "Welsh, French, and Spanish."
I whistled. "Not enough curses in one language?"


 
 
Oh and P.S. Although I do like this cover.... I love the German cover even more. I mean just look at it!








About the Author:
Corrine Jackson (pronounced Cor-een) is a young adult author repped by Laura Bradford of Bradford Literary Agency. Her debut young adult novel, If I Lie, will be published by Simon Pulse (August 28, 2012). Touched, the first book of her young adult paranormal romance trilogy, will be published by Kensington/KTeen (November 27, 2012).
Once upon a time, Corrine worked as a graphic designer before she switched to account management at one of the country’s top marketing agencies. She has a deep and abiding love for Anthropologie and intends to move into her nearest store when the employees aren’t looking and/or she can get her hands on a key (which she expects to find in one of their bins).
An education addict, Corrine has attended eleven different colleges, has earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English, and an MFA in Creative Writing from Spalding University. A recipient of a West Chester Poetry Conference scholarship, she is also the former Editor-in-Chief of two literary magazines, including Statement (CSU, Los Angeles) and Dash (CSU, Fullerton). A member of SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators), RWA, YARWA, and AWP, she has mad skills in the kitchen, especially when it comes to pies and cupcakes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...