Sunday, January 6, 2013

Here Trilogy Blog Tour: Review & Interview

Here Trilogy Blog Tour by Ella James
Synopsis:
Milo Mitchell's life used to be charmed, but that was before her family dissolved, she went a little crazy, and her best friends started acting more like strangers. Spending Saturday morning in a treehouse with a stun gun for company and a herd of deer for friends is the only exciting thing in her life...until she shoots a fawn and finds her dart stuck in a guy.

Her gorgeous victim is dressed in a Brioni tux and armed with a hanky. He has no idea who or where he is. Afraid her dart caused his amnesia, Milo takes him in, names him Nick, and vows to help him solve his mystery. Soon the pair find Nick's face in a newspaper obituary, and Nick beings to have strange, ethereal memories of Milo--who is sure she's never met him. Suddenly Nick knows things he shouldn't know and is doing things he shouldn't do. When the Department of Defense shows up, Nick and Milo run--toward a shocking conclusion that could destroy both their worlds.

My Review:
I have to say the beginning of this book I was a tad skeptical as to whether I would like this book or not. The first few pages for me were extremely confusing, but after a little while the book the story line was so compelling the confusing didn't seem to matter.

Milo Mitchell's life is anything if not ordinary. She's in high school with a few close friends she's had since forever who all seem to be moving in different directions. One day while Milo is on her trip to tag one of the fawns she shoots and instead of tagging a fawn, she tags a hot guy in a tuxedo that came out of a flash of light. When Milo thinks things can't become any stranger, the stranger wakes up.

The stranger wakes up with no memory of who or where he is. Since Milo was reading The Great Gatsby she decides to name him Nick until he gets his memory back. However, Nicks sudden appearance causes a chain of events to take place that Milo never expected. Looking into who exactly Nick is proves to be less difficult after they find his face on a missing persons newspaper. Despite the evidence though Nick insists he's not the missing person everyone claims he is.

Things start to get even more strange when the Department of Defense shows up, and Nick finds his memory. He discovers he's not of this world and he may not be on the right team. When Nick finally shows up again Milo takes off with him on an adventure that will change her world as she knows it, and her heart.

 
Interview Question:
  1. What gave you the idea to make the Here Trilogy?
    My ideas usually start with a mental image, and in this case, I could picture this sad girl finding a really handsome, lost guy wandering in her yard, which was in a rural area. He had no idea who he was. I didn't want to write a story about anyone with amnesia. I hate going into a premise and knowing that I'll have to work really hard to make it stand out, because there are lots of other books out there based on a similar idea. But these characters just would not go away. It didn't take me long to figure out what Nick really was, and THAT was a premise I was really in love with. I knew how I would end the trilogy immediately, and it sounded like a great story - to me, anyway. I asked my husband if he thought it would be 'too weird' and he said he liked it, too, so that was that. :)
  2. Have you always wanted to be a writer and if not what was your dream career?
    I have some friends who are gay and lesbian, and I know it might sound crazy, but I knew I was going to be a writer in kind of the same way they say they knew they were gay. I was in second or third grade, and I just KNEW it. For years and years, I thought I would be a psychologist, to pay the bills, and write on the side. (I don't love school, so that didn't happen). But yeah, from about second grade on, I would walk around knowing I was going to be a writer - actually, I felt that I already WAS a writer, even though I didn't write at all - but it was so personal to me that I kind of kept it secret and just trusted, blindly, that I would be a writer one day, and I would be great at it. I'm actually not one of those people who have always had a ton of confidence, but this was just something I knew for SURE. Almost like I saw it in a crystal ball or something. So I never really doubted it. Well, at least not until I'd been pursuing it hardcore for more than five or six years with not many results. THEN I kind of did. But that's another story! The main thing is, it has a happy ending.
  3. Do you have a favorite aspect about writing YA novels?
    Honestly I consider myself a romance novelist who takes temporary detours into YA territory. I don't have any adult or new adult romance for sale right now, but I will in a month or two. Writing is easy for me if I let the characters' evolving romance kind of lead me through the story, so actually some of my YA books have been hard for me to write. Exalted, the fourth Stained Series book, and Trapped, the second Here book (soon to be released) were both hard at first, because when there's a lot of PLOT (external events), it's harder for me to let the characters' feelings for each other guide me as I write. That many not make a lot of sense, but if you read my upcoming releases, a story like January's Wilderness (coming out in two months or so), is easiest for me to write, and stories like Here and Stained, with a lot of action, are harder.
  4. Did you have a favorite novel growing up? If so did that novel have any impact on your writing?
    A YA contemporary romance called The Only Alien on the Planet had a really big impact on my decision to write some YA. I read that book for English class in eighth grade, and I'm still thankful that my teacher made us read it. It was kind of a character study as well as a sweet story about love and getting over bad things in life, and I still enjoy reading it every other year or so. (P.S. You can get it as an ebook!)
  5. Why did you decide to make Nick a fawn? Seems like an um- masculine type of animal to make a guy, was there any particular reason for that?                                                                                            He's not a fawn, contrary to what you might think based on the book's description. What he is, is a mystery (until the end of Here), but trust me, it's something a good bit more intimidating, and it's not an animal or a shifter. In fact, I sometimes think about Nick's people when I'm rocking my son to sleep at night in a dark room, and it scares me. ;) How's that for a teaser?
  6. Who was the hardest character to write and who was the easiest?
    In the Here Trilogy, Milo is fairly easy to write, and in the first book, Here, Nick was really, really hard to write. You kind of have to read the book to totally understand why, but it took me a month or so to 'get' Nick, and to finally realize that despite his...erm, circumstances, he is really just like anyone else. His backstory was REALLY hard to figure out, too. I would say he is definitely the most difficult to figure out character I've ever written. But I love him. He really is a sweetheart.
  7. Is there any romance in your Here Trilogy?
    YES! :) It starts out slow, with Nick and Milo falling for each other in Here. In the first 1/3 of Trapped, book two, there's a pretty sweet scene between the two of them, and their romance grows and grows until the climax of the series in book three, which I hope will be a nice blend of drama and just this really balls-to-the-wall romance. Can you describe romance that way?? Oh, well. I did.
  8. What for you is the hardest part about writing?
    OMG... For me it's either easy or really difficult. When it's easy (Chosen, Stained three, was soooo easy), it's awesome, and when it's hard, it drives me totally insane. I'm just getting over a major creative drought, which pretty much started when I started working on Exalted (the last Stained book, released in October) and went through most of the writing of Trapped. NOT. FUN. For me the hardest thing so far has just been pressure. I already have a few books out, and there is a lot of pressure to put more out fast, and to make each one better than the last. I have to keep the neuroticism to a minimum. ;)
  9. When you aren't writing, what are you doing?
    Playing with my son, who's 17 months old, or hanging out with my husband. Going to the park, or reading on my Kindle. Maybe talking on the phone. I watch a few shows on TV, like Homeland, which has been my big obsession this year, and also Walking Dead and (sometimes) Nashville.
  10. After you completely finished Here, who was the first person to read it?
    My husband. He's also my editor. Here is the only book I've ever written that was in good enough first-draft shape that he said, "I think you're gonna put me out of a job!" Once I understood Nick, Here was super easy. When I finished Exalted, the fourth Stained book, he probably wished he was out of a job! ;) But Trapped, the second Here book, has been a better process. It should be out in a few weeks, and I can't wait to share it with everyone!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...