Sunday, November 18, 2012

Path of Needles Review

Path of Needles (Paths #1) by Hannah Kollef
Synopsis:
When 17-year-old Kat Finnegan is warned in a Brooklyn alleyway that her father is going to disappear, she shrugs and walks away. The next morning her father is gone--leaving behind a booby-trapped apartment and a mystery that has slept for a thousand years.

To get him back, Kat and her twin brother Roger will have to unravel the secrets behind the Rose Queen--the fairy queen who ripped apart reality and stitched it back together, transforming the Fey into the memories known as fairy tales. They will also have to come to grips with their emerging powers and discover why they are known to the magical world as "The Truth" and "The Lie."

Hunted by demons and treacherous Fey, Kat and Roger follow the Queen's trail from Manhattan to Newark. But neither the Queen nor her curse is what they expected, and more is at stake than their father's life--and theirs.

Path of Needles is the explosive first book in the Paths series: urban fantasies littered with deadly fairy tales, tangled romance, and heartbreaking betrayals.

My Review:
 I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

Path of Needles was such a great book!!! *gushes* Honestly this book is seriously awesome! This book sucked me in from the beginning I honestly couldn't put it down A perfect mix of YA and fairy tales and not the Disney fairy tales either I'm talking old school. Kat is a great character, I love Jim, Roger seems sexy, I just eek!!! Okay let me explain:

Path of Needles starts off at a party for Kat's father Jonathan Finnegan. The next day at school and at The Dirty Harpoon a bar Jim's mother owns Kat starts meeting some strange new people and seeing things that she shouldn't. After the party the next day Kat stays the night at her best friend Jim's house where Kat gets a warning, that her father is going to disappear and she's not going to fully understand, then her powers are awakened. The next morning she wakes up and her father is gone. Meeting up with her twin brother and Jim's crush Roger they enter their apartment to find that everything is wrong. The apartment is trashed, there's black gunk all over the floor, and nobody can see them:

"She turned to us, unseeing, revealing a long swipe across her nose and one cheek. As we watched she ran a hand covered in the stuff through her hair, leaving it sticky and matted..."

After that they are attacked by a giant wolf looking beast and then taken away by Hank, Kat and Rogers fathers best friend. There Hank tells them a story that says fairy tales are very real, and so are the dark creature within them. He also reveals not only his identity, but also Kat and Rogers as well as their destiny. Together they are to destroy the Rose Queen who destroyed the fairy tale world and replaced it with humanity. Trying to take them somewhere safe so they can recover Kat falls ill and their sanctuary is compromised and no one is safe any longer. Attacked by evil creatures on land Kat and Jim escape to the water, only it's not safe there either. There they meet and unlikely ally and then are betrayed in the worst possible way.

I really enjoyed reading about Kat's and revelation realizing that they can only rely on themselves and that if they want anything in their world they will have to do everything on their own:

"I had to rely on myself now. And that was the bitter Truth--capital intended--as only I could see it. In the end, the very end, I had only myself."

Kat was a great character to read about. She's smart and can think things through even in tough situations. She only tries to rely on herself and I like that. I also liked how no matter what she was always loyal to her friends and family. Kat is honestly hilarious and easily relatable. Jim is very smart and I love when he starts talking about conspiracy theories about the government and aliens. Roger was a bit of a butt hole the entire book which was kind of aggravating.

Overall great story. A great mix of fairy tales that I had never heard about such as Red Riding Hood and Snow White. I really loved the spin on them and Path of Needles really made me want to find out more about the fairy tales so I can follow along better in the next books. I can not wait until the next book to come out. Hannah Kollef spun an amazing tale with Path of Needles and I can not wait to read more. Path of Needles contained just the right amount of inner dialogue, character interactions, action and fight scenes, and description. Many times in the book it felt as if I could see it! So perfect! Plus the story always kept me guessing and I was never sure what was going to happen next, which is always great!
I also loved how there was gay love. Eeek sorry but I love and am an active supported of LGBT so I always get excited when there are gay characters and I can not wait to find out how that relationship progresses!!
I hope everyone will pick up a copy and love this book just as much as I did.

Rating: 4.5 bats

Author Info:
Hannah Kollef was born on the anniversary of Genghis Khan's death. She believes this is responsible for her poor table manners and love of pillaging.

Hannah earned her BA in Japanese and Political Science at Washington and Lee University. Upon graduating, she decided to pursue writing and published her first novel, "To Wake the Shadows." In October 2012 she published the first in her new Paths series, titled "Path of Needles." She also launched her new website, hannahkollef.com, a multimedia collaboration with input from a variety of talented musicians and artists.

​In addition to her novels, Hannah has been published in various magazines including In General magazine and Hometown Quarterly. She also works as a freelance copywriter, editor, and social media consultant for several small businesses. She lives close to New York City.  

To find out more about Hannah and her books go to: Hannahkollef.com 

Like my review? Let me know please by leaving a comment as you pass by 8)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...