Monday, October 1, 2012

Music Monday #14

Music Monday is a weekly book review I do on my blog to broadcast my love of music, as well as to shake up the reviews so they don't become boring.

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout
https://07a230e0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/jenniferlarmentrout/cursed/dyingsuckstext.png?attachauth=ANoY7crVynle_FmDyn2LC7GOvPCvRWG8hu7goptZS9P6brohWrfKRdZhPFI6DVtqZl4ODktv2iyynP1TJZzKBCrFNBwHLWastur2OYyKVWh-McNNYSLvQJPClz1ORRDPyT763TtUQ8qgA1aVLZb5QEpEJ_6b_JuVFxNDUjqf0V8oR9S03lbiGwVE7iBpL7yHV1ONFL8VbTH6tw3ojTtuDPUhJfCeRVgZXKAJ2AGdCpjZLfMiESbyCE8%3D&attredirects=0
 and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After
a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he’s a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she’s more than interested. There’s just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she’s willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?

But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she’s not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life.

https://07a230e0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/jenniferlarmentrout/cursed/forrealtext.png?attachauth=ANoY7cph5rFBshhH1bYCTqw5QXLZjiX1GgLsnbVN8XwFmt91_dC-mFKu16AWchOZBKyfFLzxRb_NWXoiWT_mDlRPBPEyWFIBqQPUWI1GRgzeWKn0iPZvM_6cReGyWhmoeJp_zl0PUONBVI3NiyvYbI6uMShRwhwqvSCe4ldzQAy9DI329ohSLllBplhWlHrtI-smfdRPDXv2B8k3Cf3YGxe-Oskm4D1_fIp4Va8cdONtyGVnl77qDS8%3D&attredirects=0

Book Trailer:

Music:
For this weeks song I chose 'No Light, No Light' by Florence and the Machine. I chose this song for Cursed because a lot of lyrics remind me of Embers relationship with Hayden, herself, and others.  I think this song goes great with the mood of the book too. I hope you like the song and if you want to check out the song for yourself, you can follow the links to check it out. No Light, No Light Lyrics and No Light, No Light Video.

Book Review:
 Well Jennifer has done it again. Cursed is AMAZING!! I could not put this down and while I was supposed to be writing two or so papers for class I decided to read Cursed instead. So absolutely worth it. As always Jennifer has weaved another fantastic story that will leave you guessing until the last page.

Embers life through most of the book sucks eggs. She can't touch any living thing including people, animals, and plants. Having to go to school she is constantly made fun of and has one friend. She has to take care of the house, the shopping, and taking care of her sister since her mother has 'checked out.' You'd think after people come and help her out her life may get just a tad bit better but no such luck. She's even more alone than she was at her school for the most part, and danger is around every corner. Her new 'family' fear and despise her. Honestly although she was sort of a whiny character I couldn't help feel for her. Going from having a happy family, and being a popular cheerleader and having that taken away in a single moment I don't think many people could have handled it. Ember takes care of her little sister Olivia who is adorable although annoying at times with the temper tantrums. Olivia made me super happy I have no siblings, just saying.

Overall, Ember did grow as a character throughout the story, in baby steps. I think a majority of those changes had to do with Hayden. Hayden is a complete hottie and I swear most of my favorite scenes were the ones where he had his shirt off and Ember was describing and ogling him. Hayden although has his own horrible and tragic past much like Ember, he is still a pretty positive person. I was happy that Ember and Hayden didn't hit it off right away, although he did turn out to be too sexy to resist.

Throughout the book there is scary stuff happening to poor poor Ember. Really I am not kidding her life sucks monkey butt. Ember expects it may be one of her new house mates, but it may be someone else. Not telling who, but I will say the while there are clues throughout the book who it is, the villain will not be announced until the end!

Cursed does not have the usual humor that is usually in Jennifer's books. However, this book does contain a major hottie, awesome powers, and the looming evil society. If you have yet to read Cursed I honestly don't know what you are waiting for. Get a move on and go read this books. Of coarse I may be bias, I think if Jennifer wrote a book about sock puppets I would read and love it. I was sad to find that there will be no sequel, but I was happy with how this book ended so I can live with Cursed being a stand alone.

Favorite Quote:
""Fourth pair since school stater. Mom's going to kill me."
We started towards the back doors. "It's not your fault."
"Try telling her that. She acts like every pair of glasses is a child lost." He held the door open, letting me slide past him. "Alert the police! Another one gone missing!" he cried, clutching his chest. "Someone put my glasses on the back of a milk carton, STAT."
An image of Mr. Potato Head's glasses and nose popped in my head, causing my to giggle."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...