Monday, September 3, 2012

Music Monday #10




Music Monday is a weekly blog review I do on my blog to change up my reviews and because I love music.

Glitch (Glitch #1) by Heather Anastasiu

Synopsis:
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

Music:
The song I chose this week is "Satellite" by Rise Against. I chose Satellite this week because I felt it went perfectly with the book. The song mentions a lot of the things that Zoe goes through as she glitches. Like using her powers. If you've read the book and ever heard the song you may know which part of the song I'm talking about. I feel as if this song also goes great with what Zoe wants to do to help the world from under the reign of superiors. To read the lyrics go HERE  and to listen to the song click on the video below.


Review:
I have to say with all the buzz  going on and on about this book I just had to read it. Now while I've seen some mixed reviews of people liking it and not liking I needed to form my own opinion, and well I loved it.

I felt all the characters were extremely easy to relate to. Zoe is the kind of girl who is easy to trust, and has extremely strong morale's. She's a strong character who doesn't give in to people or the system even if it would have been easier. She goes through some character growth, and learns to trust her feelings, even if she doesn't always know what those feelings are.

I absolutely loved Heather Anastasiu's writing. Not too much description, but enough to get me through the pages. She explains the complexity of Zoe's world without it taking up whole chunks on inner dialogue. I felt that she built strong, likable characters, and sinister villains. Overall, I love her writing style, I think it's complete awesomesacue!

One of my favorite parts was when  Zoe had an extreme allergic reaction and had to start getting allergy injections. Now while this may be an extremely bad thing to go through, I go through my own set of allergy injections once a week in both arms. So the fact that Zoe had to go through them as well made her all the more relate- able to me.

I was also extremely pleased to see that there were colored people in this book. As I've said before, I love milk colored people, but I just wish there were more ethnicity in the books I read. The fact that Heather Anastasiu made one of the main main characters and love interests a caramel colored boy made me love this story oh so much more.

I have to say throughout this entire book I never knew what was going to happen next. Glitch left me thinking, wand wondering, and left the story in complete suspense, especially the ending which is amazing. I love not knowing what's going to happen next. That makes the story so much more amazing when I have an idea of how the story is going to turn out and it's completely wrong. 

I absolutely loved this book, and cannot wait until next year when Override the second in the trilogy comes out! I hope you all go pick up a copy, and like it too. 

Favorite Quote: One of my absolute favorite parts of this book started on page 217 where Adrien and Zoe are taking about "passions". I could not stop laughing while I was reading this. I'll give you a tease of it.
"And he's a teenage guy, so..." He scratched his head and looked away from my gaze. "So you know, it's tough." He reddened suddenly.
"Why?"
Adrien let out a short, strangled laugh that sounded different from his normal laugh. "It's just a little different for boys. I mean, a lot of the time, even guys I know who've never been chipped, all they can think about is..." His face turned red, "is, well, um. The passions."
I blinked. "Really? Do you?"
Rating: 5/5
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...