Monday, July 23, 2012

Music Monday #4


Music Monday is a weekly book review I do on my blog to show the music that reminds me of a certain book. Music Monday's are probably one of my favorite blog postings I do, so I hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think. I love comments 8).
This weeks book is: 
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Synopsis:
As he continued to stare, I wanted to point to my cheek and remind him, But you were the one who wanted this, remember? You're the one who asked-and I repeat-Why not fix your face?

It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.

Music: 
The song I chose for this week is It's Not Me by 3 Doors Down. I feel like this song captured how Terra was feeling towards the world. A world that wanted her to be "like everyone else" and not "flawed". It's really a great song and if you want to check out the lyrics you can go --> 3 Doors Down lyrics, video go--> 3 Doors Down Video
 
Review:  
I love this book. I am happy I decided to reread this book, especially at this particular time in my life. I think this book is about choosing your own path, and becoming who you are. At least that's what it was to me. I loved how the book showed Terra's growth, and how each event in her life led her to be the strong person she was at the end of the book. Jacob was awesome too!!! Hottie!!!! I love how almost all the characters in the story made their own "maps" and discovered who they were truly meant to be. I also liked how the characters all had realist problems, so that aspect made the story relate able.
  • The story follows a girls journey to accepting herself. Terra Cooper has what seems like the perfect life. Amazing body, dating the head football player, is graduating school early for her amazing grades, and has a job she loves. 
  • But her life is anything but perfect. She has an amazing body to keep everyone's eyes off her "flawed" face. See Terra has a port wine stain. And while her and her mother have tried everything they could to get rid of the marring stain, no such luck. 
  • Also, her life at home is anything but ideal. 
  • Then she meets someone: Jacob. Jacob is the exact opposite of Terra, free spirited, and above all accepts himself. There's immediate chemistry between them and takes Terra and her mother, on a journey of self discovery. 
  • I have to say that while Terra deals with a ton of self- esteem problems, she was still a very likeable character. Mostly because her self- esteem problems are very well explained throughout the book, and goes into great detail as to why she has them. Terra's character is very well written as is the entire book. The book isn't excessive on details, and has an equal amount of character interactions, and inner dialogue.
Favorite Quote:
"If Jacob was right and clothes were costumes and makeup a mask, then our attitudes and habits must be our shields. Isn't that what compulsive eating eating was for mom? And round-the-clock work for Merc? And Dad's meanness, his sniping, his criticism - wasn't that just a front to cover his shame? His humiliation?"

I like this quote because it reminds me that it doesn't matter what's on the outside, because that is just the surface of a person. Just like there are many reasons for why people act the way they act. Many things are just a front, what matters is what is hidden underneath all of that.
Rating 5/5 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...