Monday, July 9, 2012

Music Monday #3



The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Synopsis:
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Backstory:
I love this book so much. It was my first true favorite book of all time. Love it!!!
I was so excited when this book came out. I didn't know what to expect though. I didn't think it would be like Twilight, but I wasn't sure. Now after reading this book for the billionth time I'm sure it's safe to assume I loved it. No expectations is sometimes a really good thing. I bought this book because I was a fan of the Twilight (so sue me). Anyway I saw that Stephanie Meyer was coming out with a book called The Host and had to read it.

Music:
The song I chose this week is Avalon by Bad Religion. Avalon is the island paradise King Arthur was taken after his death. The first part of the song before the chorus kind of seems like the first part of the book where Wanderer goes walking through the desert. Then the second part kind of talks about how everyone was feeling after Wanderer met some of the characters in the cave. The chorus is so perfect because Avalon is mentioned as kind of a paradise which is what the world was made into after the "souls" came and took the world over. Perfect song for this book. Here's the link to the lyrics: Avalon by Bad Religion Lyrics and this is the link to the video: Avalon by Bad Religion Videos.

Review:
  • The Host is a looong book. 619 pages long to be exact. Seriously when I was reading this book even though I couldn't put it down, it took me almost a month to complete. It's long. Filled with description, feelings, inner dialogue, as well as multiple character interactions. The story was never dull, or filled with too much "fluff" which was great.  
  • I feel like the host did an amazing job of depicting the insanity of human emotions. Wanderer is the "soul" who has taken over human Melanie's body, and while even though she's been warned, the human emotions she feels on a day to day basis overwhelm her many times throughout the story. And throughout reading you realize she isn't the only one.
  • This story if a not the traditional love triangle. I'm not going to say a lot on it but if you read it you'll know what I'm talking about.
  • I fell in love with almost every character after the first time I read the book. They all have different personalities, that are so individual it's amazing. You know kinda like real life I guess.
  • This story talks about love at in it's most true form, and how far people truly are willing to go for the one's they love.
Favorite Quote: This quote is one of the main reasons I love this book. I find this quote so true.
 “We value the individual. We probably put too much emphasis on the individual, if it comes right down to it. How many people, in the abstract, would...let's say Paige....how many people would she sacrifice to keep Andy alive? The answer wouldn't make any sense if you were looking at the whole of humanity as equals.”
Rating: 5/5
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...