Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review of the Seven Realms Series #1-3

HAPPY TUESDAY!!!!!
This is my first day of blogging!!!! So exciting. I've been wanting to do this for a while now so yay me!!! Anyway I figured I would start out with a review of a series I just started. The Seven Realms Series is a series I instantly fell in love with, to my surprise. I had gotten the third book: The Gray Wolf Throne while I was attending my first RT Booklovers Convention which was awesome!!!! I even got the book signed by the awesome Cinda Williams Chima. So I promptly went off to B&N and bought the first two books in the series The Demon King and The Exiled Queen. Now I am anxiously awaiting for the fourth and final book in the series The Crimson Crown. So without further ado I present my reviews to you (yes I did mean to rhyme). 8) (Please read synopsis's for books with the attached links. Thank you!)


I had no idea what to expect from this book when I picked it up. I had not read Cinda Williams Chima's other books so I had no idea even what her writing style would be like so I just kind of went for it. I love the cover with the ginormous amulet with the scenery in the back. This book was a slow start for me. Mainly because it starts off with naming multiple place after place and I was completely confused there for a bit. After maybe the first hundred pages I really started getting into the story of Han and Raisa. Although it took me a little while to get through the first part of the book, The Demon King was well worth the read even though I needed to trudge through the first couple chapters. I enjoyed how this book had so many twists and turns that I didn't know exactly what was going to happen next. I did enjoy reading about Hans story a little more than Raisa but I did love them both as amazingly strong willed characters who would do anything to protect others less fortunate and those they care for. Overall there weren't any characters in this book that didn't all have a back story that wasn't present in the story which I liked a lot. There isn't a lot of "fluff" in this story. There was always something happening which kept the story interesting.The only thing I disliked only that it took a while to get into the story line.Favorite Quote: "Well, then, what's your position on multiple wives? If you have two or three, can your wife have multiple husbands?"



After reading The Demon King the first book in the Seven Realms series I was in a great hurry to read The Exiled Queen. This book did not disappoint. I wasn't sure what to expect before reading this book other than it would be full of surprises, which turned out to be true. There was a lot more dialogue throughout the book then there was in the second, although it still went in depth with description on surroundings, characters, and characters feelings. Since the cover was of Raisa's ring I thought this story would revolve more around her point of view which it did not. The book focused more on Han which I liked since I enjoy reading about him a little more than Raisa. I was happy that more of Hans friends were in this story too, which was a change from the last story where it was mostly him. I thought both Han and Raisa developed a lot as characters, just as they did in the first. I did have some favorite scenes such as the chapter titled "Delphi" which was a scene that took place in a tavern from Hans point of view. There was a tad more romance in this story for Han than there was in the first book, and I have to say I was surprised with who ended up with who. Overall I ended up liking Raisa more than I initially had in the first. She's has an amazing strong will, and compassion for others. Cinda Chima's writing is amazing, I love how I can read the entire book and be excited for the next with absolutely no idea what is going to happen next. She never adds too much fluff, and there are always twists and turns, which makes reading her books all the more interesting.  Favorite Quote: "When she'd left the Fells, she thought of people as being sorted into lots-good and bad, brave and cowardly, virtuous and evil. Now she realized that there were bits of both in most people-and which elements prevailed often depended on circumstances."



The Gray Wolf Throne was a lot different than the other two books in this series. For starters Raisa was mole of the staring character which considering this book focused more on her getting to the throne was understandable. Usually Cinda Williams Chima has about the same amount of back and forth between Han and Raisa, Raisa's point of view overtook most of the chapters. There seemed to be a lot less conflict also in this story as well. Since the book was more centered around court life, there wasn't as much action going on even though there was still some. The romance is little and far between in this story which made sense for the story line but there was still some. I was sad that many of the prominent characters in both The Demon King and The Exiled Queen were put more to the side, such as Amon, Dancer, and the Gray Wolves members. There was an introduction to many new characters, as well as characters that in other books were mentioned merely in passing or only a few times. Overall I can still say that the Seven Realms series still has me captivated with every page."Favorite Quote: "That you have control of this princess now? I am not game piece or a strategic castle you are try to breach."That's where you're wrong, Han thought. Nightwalker thinks every girlie is a castle to be breached. Best to keep your draw-bridge up."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...