Friday, June 22, 2012

Review of Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves #3)

Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves #3) by 
Jennifer Lynn Barnes
 The series is called Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. I first got into this series from a friend and instantly fell in love. Now if you aren't familiar with the series I'll enlighten you a little. The series Raised by Wolves is a trilogy so if you don't like long series then you'll like these. The trilogy starts with Raised by Wolves, then Trial by Fire, and then Taken by Storm This series is not the usual werewolf story. There's a lot of rules and politics and it's just very different from any werewolf story I've ever read. So without further ado here is my review!

Synopsis: 
Bryn knows first-hand that being the alpha of a werewolf pack means making hard decisions, and that being human makes things a thousand times worse. She's prepared to give up her humanity, but the wolf who promised to Change her is waiting - though for what, Bryn doesn't know. Still human, she must take her place in the werewolf Senate, the precarious democracy that rules the North American packs. Standing side by side with werewolves who were ancient long before she was ever born is enough of a challenge, but Bryn soon learns that the Senate has been called to deal with a problem: the kind of problem that involves human bodies, a Rabid werewolf, and memories that Bryn, Chase, and the rest of their pack would rather forget. With bodies stacking up and political pressure closing in from all sides, Bryn and her pack are going to have to turn to old enemies and even older friends for help - especially when it starts to look like this time, the monster might be one of their own. (Synopsis from Goodreads.com)

My Review:
When I started this series I was a bit reluctant. I was not a big fan on werewolves and thought this series would be about a girl who lived with wolves and wanted to be one because she felt left out. Much to my surprise this book was like nothing I expected.
Therefore, after falling in love with the series I was dying with anticipation for the conclusion to Jennifer Lynn Barnes Raised by Wolves trilogy. I raced right to the store and bought Taken by Storm without hesitation. Then I do what I usually do when one of my most favorite series is coming to an end. I stalled on reading it. It was very hard to do because I swear that beautiful purple cover just called to me. So I started reading and couldn't put it down. I have to say I wanted to toss the book out into a storm after I picked up on the foreshadowing(although I will not share what that was in case you haven't read it). There are no words I can use to describe this book without giving anything away so I will just say that I laughed A LOT, cried...more than a lot, and was taken by surprise at almost every turn of the page. I have to say Devon will always be my favorite character because he is so funny, and managed to stay true to himself always. It broke my heart when Bryn or anyone else would talk about the female weres in the werewolf society. I truly do love the way that Jennifer Lynn Barnes brings everything about her characters, and the rules they live by to life. The way secondary characters are just as important and have their own stories, just as much as the narrator. The way she described every aspect so that when a character felt something it almost felt as if I were feeling it too. Truly impeccable writing.
What I didn't like: I totally saw everything coming that happened in the end, I knew was going to happen. I kind wish there was a little more of a surprise factor. The foreshadowing was way to obvious for me. To be honest this book was my least favorite in the series.
Favorite quote was:
"His thumb traced the lines of my jaw. I leaned into his touch, opening my eyes and staring into his, so blue that I could have lost myself in them, if only for a moment.
"Ahem."
Chase broke away from the kiss, and the two of us turned to our left to see Caroline and Lake standing side by side. Lake had a good nine inches on Caroline, and though they were both blonde, they looked nothing alike-but the expressions on there faces were almost identical.
This wasn't awkward of anything.
Lake who'd known me longer and was less capable of keeping her smart mouth shut, broke the silence. "Sorry to interrupt, but we weren't sure if you crazy kids were going to come up for air."
I wondered how much, if any, of our fight they had overheard.
"I mean, really, B., you and lover boy here ought to look into careers in deep-sea diving."
Overall Rating was a 3/5 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...